Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Diesel knowledge?

Does anyone here have any knowledge about the 2H diesel? My troopy (Sep 83) has a turbo'd 2H in it, and twice in the last week it has been running like a champ, but then when I come out of somewhere & go to start it up again, it makes a click, and then only has power with the key in the ACC position, but nothing in the ON position. The first time, a friend & I tried to figure it out for about three hours, and then the truck started right up. So we don't know what it was. This time, the truck is still sitting there, and I don't know what it could be. Anyone have any ideas? Obviously electrical, but where should I look???

Thanks a bunch for any ideas!

Best,
Abe
Old 10-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

edic - basically when you go to start it it overfuels and then when you turn the truck off it kills the fuel at the pump. on my 3b there are also some relays in between. Is the edic cycling when it only clicks?
TLCA#4180
Old 10-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default I think so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
edic - basically when you go to start it it overfuels and then when you turn the truck off it kills the fuel at the pump. on my 3b there are also some relays in between. Is the edic cycling when it only clicks?
I can't say for certain, but I think the EDIC is working. According to the guys on Mud, the EDIC control is up under the dash, on the passenger side. When I turn the key there is a clicking sound coming from that area, so I think it is turning on (or at least trying to). I will work on it this morning to try and figure it out.

It seems like it must be electrical, or maybe a short in the ignition switch. When the key is on ACC, it has power to the clock, radio, interior lights, etc... but nothing at the, ON position. But, strangely enough, even at ACC, if I try to turn on the headlights, it all goes dead instantly...

This might just be proof that I am over my head in the, "foreign, diesel cruiser owner" club.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I don't have a 2H, Just a cummins 4BT. I had what I thought was a bad starter. Ran fine to the store got back in and it just clicked when I turned the key. I could bump start it but the key would just click. even had strong lights and all the gages worked fine. I finely decided to check the battery and it tested fine. When I put the battery back in I cleaned the terminals and reinstalled it. I thought what the hell might as well try to start it one more time. Started right up after sitting all summer.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulabe View Post
I can't say for certain, but I think the EDIC is working. According to the guys on Mud, the EDIC control is up under the dash, on the passenger side. When I turn the key there is a clicking sound coming from that area, so I think it is turning on (or at least trying to). I will work on it this morning to try and figure it out.

It seems like it must be electrical, or maybe a short in the ignition switch. When the key is on ACC, it has power to the clock, radio, interior lights, etc... but nothing at the, ON position. But, strangely enough, even at ACC, if I try to turn on the headlights, it all goes dead instantly...

This might just be proof that I am over my head in the, "foreign, diesel cruiser owner" club.
That's your solinoids under the dash clicking. The edic is the little motor with an arm near the fuel pump. are you sure the starter switch is good? It sounds like it could be making a bad contact.
TLCA#4180
Old 10-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

yep, you ate dead on about the starter relay under the dash. It clicks and then buzzes while you hold the key at start. I cleaned the fuse block and put in new fuses and cleaned the battery terminals and got the battery tested. So far none of that has changed anything.
if it was the starter switch, could that also affect my lights? I also don't seem to have any dah or headlights now, although the interior light and radio/voltmeter are working...
Old 10-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Wow, I was on Binder Bulliten last night and stumbled onto a thread about "hot start," and that sounds exactly like what you're describing. I can't get past the first page here with our firewall, but go here if you want and search for "hot start" and I bet you run into a ton of info.. http://www.binderbulletin.org/

all from Scout guys who don't have Toyota experience..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Seems like some good info on that, "Hotstart", but so far I still haven't been able to put it all together. Can anyone recognize the attached pic (at least hopefully it is there...)?

When I turn the key to start, the starter relay ender the dash clicks & continues to buzz, and then this piece here (bolted to the radiator on the driver's side) clicks fairly loudly. If I have someone else do it, I can even feel it switching inside if I put my hand on it. But that seems to be the end of the line. Is that just an ignition switch, or a relay...?

Thanks again!

Best,
Abe
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Take off those connections and clean them up...couldn't hurt

Ok...that is the extent of my knowledge
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 10-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Take off those connections and clean them up...couldn't hurt

Ok...that is the extent of my knowledge
Good idea, but it didn't work...

BUT,

It seems to have helped me move forward a bit. If you look at the pic up above, you can see a fusible link to the right of that relay, that is also attached to the relay. If you look closely, you realize that it is only half a link, and the two wires that would have been the other half, have had terminals added to it & stuck onto it. If it disconnect them, I can get the parking brake & check engine lights to come on. So that seems like progress, even though it won't start yet. If I can figure out what they attach to, and also what the right link would be for it, maybe I can get it back to moving! that would be good too, since it is stuck in the parking lot at my wife's office... i am sure they love having it there!