Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Rezarf's Avatar
Rezarf Rezarf is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 4,090
Default Battery Time... Deka, Optima?

I can get the battery FJBen used the Deka for about 130 or the yellow top for 20 bucks more at Sams with three years no questions asked warantee.

FJBen hows it holding up? UB, did you buy one also?

I have had a red top Optima for 6 years without issue, and on the charger it still goes for a few days between charging. I think the ARB freezer drained it once this summer, and that was the begining of the end of the Red Top.

Thoughts? Discuss...
__________________
Rezarf <><
My rig... "Maude"
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-08-2008, 03:29 AM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,162
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
I can get the battery FJBen used the Deka for about 130 or the yellow top for 20 bucks more at Sams with three years no questions asked warantee.

FJBen hows it holding up? UB, did you buy one also?

I have had a red top Optima for 6 years without issue, and on the charger it still goes for a few days between charging. I think the ARB freezer drained it once this summer, and that was the begining of the end of the Red Top.

Thoughts? Discuss...
I replaced both in my 80 with Dekas..... absolutely happy with that decision!
__________________
KUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-08-2008, 09:32 AM
FJBen's Avatar
FJBen FJBen is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 893
Default

I have the Deka and am happy with it. It cranks like a mofo. Haven't really put the test to it in terms of winching yet, so I can't comment. But I'll have an amp/sub and the winch on it.

So far happy...and I trust it more than the Optima's which have become very hit/miss.
__________________
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,162
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBen View Post
I have the Deka and am happy with it. It cranks like a mofo. Haven't really put the test to it in terms of winching yet, so I can't comment. But I'll have an amp/sub and the winch on it.

So far happy...and I trust it more than the Optima's which have become very hit/miss.
I have to agree on the Optimas! I have been a solid supporter of Optimas but their quality just doesn't seem to be there any more. Many folks here have reaped the benefits of the Deka 31 series in my 80! Crockpot delicious and no engine running whole movie fun!
__________________
KUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Jacket's Avatar
Jacket Jacket is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 4,101
Default

Check out Odyssey as well. Not cheap - but excellent reputation.

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/ind...duct_list&c=34
__________________
- Matt
1976 FJ40 - green and mostly stock
1996 FZJ80 - not so stock
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-08-2008, 11:19 AM
timmbuck2's Avatar
timmbuck2 timmbuck2 is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,042
Default

where you getting the deka?
__________________
* 00 LC
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig (FOR SALE)
* 01 RX300 with a seized motor
KDTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-08-2008, 11:41 AM
FJBen's Avatar
FJBen FJBen is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 893
Default

I got them at Hensley battery. Same price as online. There are some in denver.
__________________
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Rezarf's Avatar
Rezarf Rezarf is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 4,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBen View Post
I got them at Hensley battery. Same price as online. There are some in denver.
Yup, Ben had a thread on it a while ago... that is where I plan on going.

Checked Sams club and it is actually about 40 bucks more than the Optima... that said, Deka here I come!

Drew
__________________
Rezarf <><
My rig... "Maude"
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Rezarf's Avatar
Rezarf Rezarf is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 4,090
Default

What size should I be looking at, is bigger always better? My Optima barely takes up any space under the hood of the 40 and the tray has an inch to spare in all directions.

Thanks!
__________________
Rezarf <><
My rig... "Maude"
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Uncle Ben's Avatar
Uncle Ben Uncle Ben is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 13,162
Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
What size should I be looking at, is bigger always better? My Optima barely takes up any space under the hood of the 40 and the tray has an inch to spare in all directions.

Thanks!
HHow much weight are you willing to deal with? My Deka 31 tips the scale at 71 lbs!
__________________
KUBN
Kevin
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.