Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 10-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Default bye bye, Bella.

Bella was put down today. Her lungs had filled with fluid, down to about 15% lung capacity. She hadn't eaten in days, at least one tumor was visible inside, and you could see it in her eyes that she was done. The vet had never seen such X-rays, was amazed she'd made it this long, it's really remarkable how stoic and selfless this breed is. All of this came on pretty quick too, which is probably the best way to go when you think about it.

Doesn't make today much easier though, and carrying your pet from the house to the car, then the car to the vet, has got to be one of the worst feelings in the world.

Anyway I wouldn't ordinarily do this but I know a lot of you really knew Bella quite well, as you got to know her pretty good on the countless events and trail runs she attended with us. She really enjoyed being a part of our group, as do I. So to honor that, I'm hoping that you will use this thread to post up any pictures you may have of her, or any stories you'd like to share about her, or share a story about another pet of yours if you want. I'll be reading this thread to Gavin later, forwarding it to Michele, and suspect I'll look back at it often.

I'll start us off... her favorite place to lay was right where you'd be walking next. If you were working on the truck, then that would either be next to you under the truck, with a leg under the creeper, or between you and the toolbox. She wasn't a very good retriever, could find the ball alright but didn't really like to bring it back, and she couldn't catch anything- even biscuits would literally bounce off her nose. What a personality. She'd greet you by picking up some small item (sock, receipt, pencil...) then hold it in her mouth and growl, while her entire body oscillated back and forth under the stress of some serious tail wagging. It was the cutest thing in the world. We actually had to have her tail operated on when we first got her, because she wagged her tail so much she kept smacking it into walls and door jams causing it to bleed, which never had time to heal. But even with one less tail vertebra, a big bandage on the tail, and a satellite dish on her neck, she still wagged her tail constantly. We got her from a the Golden Retriever Rescue when she was about 4, and had her about 6 years, so to the best of our knowledge she was 10.

here are a few pictures:
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Rising Sun member

Sad to hear Tim, we went through this as well not long enough ago...

It was good to see Bella last week, you're spot on about selfless. She was a good dog
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

damn...sorry tim
ige tlca #1431
Old 10-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

She was a great dog. Glad she came on the Rubicon trip.

here is to you Bella
Attached Images

11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 10-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

So sorry to hear the sad news Tim. I know how you feel having gone through this myself several times now.

I had to laugh when I saw the second pictures down. Our Golden, Duke, does the exact same thing. The smallest puddle or the biggest mud pit and he has to lay in it. We also rescued Duke through the Golden Rescue, my parents actually work with them and donate food when they can.

If you or your family ever need a Golden fix you are more than welcome to come over or meet up somewhere. These dogs are one of the best breeds around and like you said are selfless to a fault nearly.

I have no pictures or stories to tell you about Bella but I will post up some pics or video of Duke and Sambuca. Our thoughts go out to you and your family and Bella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 10-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

She was a great dog. It was so awesome that she was a part of our Rubicon trip. I'm sorry she's gone. You loved her so much. Such a sad thing to have to do. She'll be missed by all of us.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

So sorry to hear this Tim, Michelle, and Gavin.

Bella was a great dog and lead a happy life.

It was just a couple of weeks ago that we were working on the brakes of your Scout and Bella was right there laying under the axle, keeping the tools hidden. I also remember her helping with loading trees in the trailer and walking along so close to the wheels of your 80 that I thought for sure she would get crunched. Always wanting to be where the people are.

'85 FJ60
Old 10-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Thanks everyone. Yes I'm so glad that I took her on the Rubicon... she went hiking, swimming, had a terrific time. She also has been to Cruise Moab, ghost town runs, Ouray trip, spooky night runs, Jenny Creek several times, Gillespie, Argentine... the list goes on. Her last trail was Slaughterhouse this past Sunday.

It's amazing when you look at old pics above how grey she got.. you can see a similar trasformation in the 80 too, man it used to be so small and shiny, what happened?

But on that, here's one from 2003:
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
She was a great dog. It was so awesome that she was a part of our Rubicon trip. I'm sorry she's gone. You loved her so much. Such a sad thing to have to do. She'll be missed by all of us.
x2 Matt said it all
Old 10-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

It is very sad. I'll miss seeing her lounging in the back of the truck. I did get to greet her last week at OTB - one last pat on the head.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln