Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default 80 control arm?

first off, i'm guessing the rear control arm bolt isn't supposed to be shouldered, am i correct?

reason i pulled it is i get a hideous "oh crap my front end is going to fall off " clunk when i hit deep cracks/bumps in the road. first thought was maybe i didn't get my spindles tight enough when i rebuilt the front end, so i jacked up the front end and tried to wiggle the tires. they were fine.

then i crawled underneath and tried to wiggle track rod, sway bar, and the welded rod that goes across to where the track rod is bolted and they were tight, so i guessed the control arm bushings might be bad so i pulled one side. they look fine (rear is a little dry rotted, but not torn or anything. how do they look to you gurus?

also, in an attempt to fix the leaks on the ford, i replaced two questionable hoses under the turbo intake and when i pulled the intake, i found this written on the hump hoses. if you need to know where to position the clamps, you should take your rig to a shop
Attached Images

ige tlca #1431
Old 10-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I think I'd replace the back bushings -- looks like crap. I thought all the bolts were shouldered.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Bolt looks good, it's probably the OME bushings, those things don't hold up well to serious wheeling.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

yep. your eyes will not be able to detect the slop that will make noise in a urethane bushing. bolts are shouldered. re-place them all, should take about 3 hours, with the right press tools and a HF press. Also check the panhard bushing. often overlooked, and will klunk on both load and unload, as it is stressed heavily on flex.

Does anyone remember who I gave my kustom press tools too????

I must say this is my LEAST favorite automotive job ever. worse than doing a tranny on your back, or a tranny service on a rover. (2.5 hour book job WITH a porta-power)

j

john (johnny) henley
Old 10-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

On the front, the nuts have splines on the back side. On the back, the splines are on the shoulder of the bolt. Not sure about the back one, but the front ones should be replaced when you are doing service -- otherwise they will loosen just from daily driving.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I think I'd replace the back bushings -- looks like crap. I thought all the bolts were shouldered.
i'm referring to the smaller shoulder up near the top.
ige tlca #1431
Old 10-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
Bolt looks good, it's probably the OME bushings, those things don't hold up well to serious wheeling.
how do you tell if they're worn
ige tlca #1431
Old 10-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

bulging, looseness of the inner shell, both on the bolt and or urethane side. IMHO, urethane only ever lasts about 2-3 years if you wheel them. They do come out REAL easy though.

john (johnny) henley
Old 10-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would replace the bushings with slee's blue polyester bushings. They should last longer than the urethane, and replace the back one with factories.

FWIW, I have had 3 sets of control arms on my truck, and have never had the bolts loosen up when torqued properly.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 10-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

blue loc-tite. nuff said

rtv works also, but not as well.

john (johnny) henley