Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Rear Pinon Nut

I was getting around to dealing with the leak coming from the pinon on my rear diff. I thought it was the pinon seal, but think it is my nut. This one is beat up pretty bad on the inside end and is very likely the cause of my leak?

Is this an easy part to get? Does anyone have one lying around that I could use?

I have the front diff from the FJ60 that donated my front disks. The nut looks like it might be the same size, but it is different in that it has an indentation on it, not a blemish but it looks like it is supposed to be there. Could this nut be put into service on my rear diff?
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 10-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Always....always....always use a new pinion nut after removing the old one! It is possible that the pinion flange could weep a little through the splines and come out through the nut. I always apply a small amount of RTV to the inner splines of pinion yokes and T-case drive flanges. Do not put RTV on the splines as it will push into the inside of the case!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
I was getting around to dealing with the leak coming from the pinon on my rear diff. I thought it was the pinon seal, but think it is my nut. This one is beat up pretty bad on the inside end and is very likely the cause of my leak?

Is this an easy part to get? Does anyone have one lying around that I could use?

I have the front diff from the FJ60 that donated my front disks. The nut looks like it might be the same size, but it is different in that it has an indentation on it, not a blemish but it looks like it is supposed to be there. Could this nut be put into service on my rear diff?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
This one is beat up pretty bad on the inside end

?
are you talking about the egde where it's deformed? if so, that's from staking the nut. that's normal. you can get new pinion nuts from the dealer. put a bit of silicone on the ends of the spline, slap in a new seal while you're there, torque it all down and restake. easy to do.
ige tlca #1431
Old 10-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

I picked up a new pinion nut at Burt, ran into Tch2fly while I was there. It was nice to run into someone I know.

The old nut had been installed backwards by the PO, not with the beveled side out where it could be staked. I did not realize it was backward installed when I posted this morning.

I put everything back together topped off the rear diff with 90 wt. and took it for a test drive. I think I've done something wrong as I now have a metal-on-metal scraping noise coming out of the rear diff.

Retracing my work;
I disconnected the drive shaft
removed the pinion nut
took off the washer
took off the Universal joint flange
took off the dust deflector
found the pinion nut to be bad
cleaned the parts in the washer
bought a new pinion nut
put the parts back on
filled with 90wt
went for a drive, got around the block

While everything was off, I did notice there is about 1/4" play in the Drive Pinion, which is not a good thing. The FSM indicates the pinion nut should be torqued to 144-173 ft lbs, which is a bunch of torque. I did not use my torque wrench, but got it on there good. Perhaps I over tightened the pinion nut. It is also possible I misaligned splines or the drive shaft. I'll have another look at it in the morning.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 10-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

I Don't know if that diff has a solid spacer or a crush sleeve, with a torque range of ~30ftlbs I'm guessing sleeve, I'm willing to bet you my have FUBAR'd your pinion bearing preload.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:

While everything was off, I did notice there is about 1/4" play in the Drive Pinion, which is not a good thing. The FSM indicates the pinion nut should be torqued to 144-173 ft lbs, which is a bunch of torque. I did not use my torque wrench, but got it on there good. Perhaps I over tightened the pinion nut. It is also possible I misaligned splines or the drive shaft. I'll have another look at it in the morning.

1/4" play? You mean after the pinion is torqued down you can still move it in and out 1/4"? It sounds like your crush sleeve was never crushed enough! If thats the case and you have been driving it that way you might have some other issues now! When preloaded properly you should have 0 play and the pinion without ring gear should feel tight but still move by hand. Once torsional pressure works on the assembly a few hundred miles the pinion will turn much easier by hand but still have 0 play! Something is very wrong with your setup and I suggest letting someone who knows how to set up R&P's take a look at it!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-12-2008, 06:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

By play do you mean looseness in the pinion bearings or rotational play which would be gear backlash?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 10-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

My earlier post was not as clear as it could be regarding the 1/4" play. The play is with the pinion nut, universal joint flange and dust deflector off. Once these parts are all back on, there is no play - everything is solid.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 10-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
My earlier post was not as clear as it could be regarding the 1/4" play. The play is with the pinion nut, universal joint flange and dust deflector off. Once these parts are all back on, there is no play - everything is solid.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh...That is normal as when you remove those parts the pinion can move deeper into the ring gear which unloads the bearing cones. The metal grinding obviously is still an issue. Two things to check is the dust shield on the pinion flange and if you removed the slinger that is on the shaft behind the pinion flange. See if there is any shiny spots which would indicated interference with another part. The dust shield on the pinion flange is very easy to distort.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

If I recall, the torque value for an FJ40 pinion nut is ~180-300 ft/lbs. You should have replaced the seal while you were in there and checked the flange surface that rides on the seal for wear. Not sure about the grinding.

'85 FJ60