Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Rising Sun member

Default Running cold

My engine has been having a hard time getting up to operating temperature since before Cruise Moab and I can't figure it out. I just put a new t-stat, o-ring and gasket in and it's a little better but not much

Before I search endless threads on MUD for other solutions, does anybody have any thoughts? I need HEAT for the Spooky Night Run!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Determine what the operating temperature of your engine is first. If the engine is operating at 170+ then your heater should work. Use a lazer temp gauge or something other than your gauge. I cleaned out my heater core and found a solid inch of dog hair on top. The lines can be flushed with a garden hose.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 10-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...ater-core.html
Attached Images

pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 10-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
Determine what the operating temperature of your engine is first. If the engine is operating at 170+ then your heater should work. Use a lazer temp gauge or something other than your gauge. I cleaned out my heater core and found a solid inch of dog hair on top. The lines can be flushed with a garden hose.
Sure, blame it on dogs you cat person!!
Hey, clean out your pm box - I tried to leave a message and couldn't.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Rising Sun member

Yeah, and you have to change your sig line cause the Ptarmigan don't look like that no mo'!

I can check my heater core for hair, but I've had it apart the last two summers/falls/winters so it should be pretty clean unless something got into it over the past couple of months. I've done the muriatic acid treatment several times on the tubes, so they should be clean as well.

I'm not understanding how my engine is overcooling since I have the t-stat in correctly with the o-ring etc. I should probably take the t-stat out and check to make sure it opens and closes. Oy

If I can't figure it out I'm just going to put cardboard in front of the radiator just for the Spooky Night Run so we have some heat!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches

Last edited by subzali; 10-13-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Rising Sun member

Maybe I need to lean out the fuel a little bit? It might be running a little on the rich side...
Old 10-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Rising Sun member

Or maybe my cooling system needs to be burped?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

i dunno, but maybe the t-stat is sticking open?? even though it's new....

does the rad hose stay cool till the truck warms up, or does it slowly warm up with the truck?
82 FJ40
Old 10-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
Don't forget pine needles and cat hair!

Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 10-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Rising Sun member

I'll pull the inlet duct to the heater core and check for obstructions and I'm going to replace the thermostat tonight (I happen to have a new spare a just bought as well that I just remembered). Has anyone ever had to double o-ring the top of the thermostat?