Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 10-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default 80 Antenna Fix

Oh boy, my first post regarding 80 series fixes and it's about the FM antenna. High tech!! It stopped going up and down and I've searched the MUD faq pages and found John E. Davies' broken mast fix info. Mast is fine and motor makes the usual noises. The inner cable doesn't show itself when the radio is turned on and mast removed. Mr. Davis' fix is about repairing a broken mast and describes how to remove the motor assembly and all, but is there a writeup anywhere that deals with just a broken cable repair? Thanks!
Old 10-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

Usually there is no repair just replacement of the mast. I have been able to re-use a mast section that has had the very tip of the plastic cable broken off (must pull motor to get out busted tip)
Sounds like you already have the old mast out, just feed the new mast section in and turn off the radio. If it catches and winds in you are good to go. If it doesn't it grab then part of the plastic cable is stuck in the motor.

You need to pull the motor if a section of the plastic is busted off inside and needs to be removed before the new mast will install.

Last edited by Tch2fly; 10-14-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Rising Sun Member

I ran the 470 through the car wash with the antenna up a few years ago. Got the chance to research the power antenna very well. Mike is on the right track. If there is not any plastic cable still in the motor housing you should be able to stick the cable end of the new antenna and have the motor suck it right on in when the radio power is cut. If it doesn't suck it right away, turn it around as the teeth on the gears need to line up with the teeth cable - DAMHIK.

You should only need to get into the motor if there is some of the plastic cable still in there. I tried to find the post in the 100 section that provided me the best information about the subject, but couldn't find it in all the other "my antenna has broke - now what" posts in the results.

In either event, you will likely need to get a new antenna. I am not aware of any repair that can be done to splice the plastic cable.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 10-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks, guys. Just compressed the removed mast and about 2' of ribbed cable exposed itself. Time to dive into the motor and order up a new mast and cable, I guess.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Thanks, guys. Just compressed the removed mast and about 2' of ribbed cable exposed itself. Time to dive into the motor and order up a new mast and cable, I guess.
Unfortunately, $40+ cable and mast kit is what you need and more unfortunate is, like Mike said, you have to pull the motor to get the broken stub out. A fortunate thing is the antenna is removable at the motor unlike the one on your 62! While XM does cost every month not having to replace the mast every time I forget to put it down when there is trees present nearly pays the subscription cost every year!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

XM or Sirius are certainly good alternatives to off air FM. While at the Binghams in Albuquerque last week, James had the XM blues station going constantly while we tinkered in and around the garage. Heard things I'd never heard before and no commercials is a big plus. The 80 already has an XM antenna mounted in it by PO Jim Riess. Hmmmm.....
Old 10-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

just wait until you hear the same songs over and over again throughout the week. when mike and i went to pismo, it drove me crazy. now i have to deal with it here at work. plus, i remember when you paid for cable tv to get commercial free also

anyone by some odd chance have any experience with the metra universal power antenna? it's supposed to fit 80s
ige tlca #1431
Old 10-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

It's been said, the fix is satellite radio
Old 10-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Canceled my satellite subscription, I'm going back to AM radio. Steve, my PM box is full still due to laziness. What can I do for you fine sir? I wired electricity to the tater shed over the weekend. Talk about highfalutin!
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 10-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

I put mine down, and disco'd the switch on the dash. Then I bought a 9.99 rubber replacement and mounted it on the bumper, with another 9.99 in fm antenna extension. problem solved.

john (johnny) henley