Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Steve,

I don't recall what year your 80 is? Somewhere in there ('94 or '95) there was a design change as I recall...Both my 80's are '97s and apparently the later years are easier to fix because the cable isn't physically attached to the motor or something...If you have a later model year (say '96 or '97) then I would think you could remove the antenna mast and then hit the "out" button for the antenna and run the cable right out...Feed the new antenna mast cable in, have someone retract the antenna a bit until you get it close and can secure it to the fender, and finish it off.

On my 's 80 I replaced the antenna....I didn't know at the time the old cable was already out so what would have been a 15 minute repair took me several hours of getting the motor out and apart only to discover the cable was not in there - The motor is a PITA to get in and out...

I followed the write up that you can find a link to in the MUD FAQs
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 10-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

The truck is a '97 Jeff, so I will try your suggestion of trying to burp the old cable out before delving into the motor.
Interesting, off air vs. satellite radio is about as black and white an issue as presidential politics this year!
Root, I stopped by yesterday to check out the 80 steps but you have the place too **** and span to find much in the way of Cruiser!! The neighbors must be very proud of you.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

It just depends on where the cable broke! If there is enough left in the spool it will come out far enough to get a hold of....if just the 2-4" broke off the end you have to pull the assembly. Sorry to say but the cable usually snaps on the end....
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Just finished the mast/cable replacement and the job was easier than expected thanks to John Davies' instructions. Had to dive into the motor as the broken cable wouldn't burp out but is was just as well so old grease could be cleaned out and new grease replaced it. On to rear brake pad replacement now.