Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 10-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Rising Sun member

Default Alternator belt

This should be easy: the OEM alternator belt should fit. There's a bracket setup for the F, one for the 2F, and one for the 3F/3F-E. Mine's obviously a 2F, so I don't know what's going on. But right now I've been getting by with a NAPA belt that's the "right" length (longer than stock), but it's too narrow so it's not riding in the pulley in the right spot.

When I try to push my alt. in to shorten the length, it interferes with the water pump bypass hose that goes to the t-stat housing. Don't know if that's right either.

SO - hoping someone in or near the south side with a stock 2F (FJ40 would be best, but it shouldn't make a difference) would let me come over to poke around their engine and find out what's going on.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Matt,

I've got a York bracket and a longer belt on mine, but you're welcome to come by Saturday morning. I think I still have the original stock alternator belt, if you want to compare it to yours.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Matt...

Were you able to do some poking around on the 40?
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 11-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Rising Sun member

Yes, but you're right the York makes everything different. Now I can't remember who's 40 it was on the 40s Only Run last year that I was looking at.

Now - I need someone with a 2F to help me figure out why my alternator belt (OEM) is too short (won't fit so I'm using a NAPA belt that's too skinny instead). Is there anybody on the south or west side that can let me look at their truck for a 1/2 hour or so?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 12-23-2008, 07:46 AM
Rising Sun member

After calling up the dealership and checking the part number of the "OEM" belt I had, I found out it was the wrong application! It's for a '79 and up either power steering or smog pump or something like that, which is shorter than the alternator belt. Well, too late to take it back now (it's only been a year and a half ) so I stopped by this morning and got me the right one. Now the tensioning bolt sits exactly in the middle of where it's supposed to be. Part number is 99343-11265-77.

I can't believe something this simple was somehow made so hard, it must just be me
Rising Sun Bio