Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Rising Sun member

Default 3RZ-FE - timing belt or chain?

Well?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

It's a chain. The 3.4V6 has a belt.

Lucky for me, the 4.0 V6 went back to a chain....
Old 10-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

Single row chain.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 10-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

I kinda like the belts (3VZ aside, ick). Way easier, though the new motors AFAIK don't require as frequent service as the 22RE.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

How difficult is it to replace on a 22R ?

'85 FJ60
Old 10-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Rising Sun member

After I did it the first time (without doing the headgasket - you are SUPPOSED to do them together) I said I'd never do it again. But then when I ended up doing the head gasket anyway a year later I ended up doing it again. But I don't think I'll ever do the headgasket myself again. But that's me. It's an expensive job to pay someone to do it.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Harder than belts on a 5VZ-FE for sure, but not all that hard. Some shortcut the process by not removing the head (and this is well documented on the web), but IMO at least you are missing an important opportunity to replace the headgasket at a reasonable service interval, instead of at the most inconvenient time where head or block damage might accompany it.

While you are in there, it is a good idea to replace the water pump, and I elected to replace the oil pump as well (mine was scored by consuming bits of aluminum... looking at the oil pump is a good way to see if you should look further, like at main bearings, etc.). I used ARP head studs but you don't have to. I just like studs better than bolts, and the bolt holes on #3 and #4 exhaust side can get full of carbon from cooked oil. Nasty.............
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

That's a fair assessment I'd say. FYI, the OEM motor in the Chili had 149K miles on it when the HG failed. The block deck was etched due to the eroded HG and had to be decked, or motor replaced. If the PO had done the timing chain per factory process at 125K it would have saved me over two large (I resold the reman motor or it would have been three large).

There were no symptoms of incipient failure either. It just went. #3 fire ring between #3 and #4, exhaust side. High stressed part of the head, thermally.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 10-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Is oil pump failure always a sign of bearing/guides deteriorating?

sorry for the hijack Matt.

'85 FJ60
Old 10-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
FYI, the OEM motor in the Chili had 149K miles on it when the HG failed.
That sort of strikes me to be at the margin of what I think the service life of the OEM timing parts is supposed to be. I've come to think that Toyota either expected 200K km or 250K km to be the maintenance interval, which works out to 125K miles or 155K miles, probably 200K kliks, being a nice round number. That's why I think the 100K miles thing is common here, being that 125K miles usually means ~125K and so we tend to let things slip a little, so it's ends up being 130K, 135K or so and we end up going pretty far beyond the expected interval. In my case I put the final 87K miles on my original engine and it got Toyota Red with distilled water on annual flushes, so I'd bet my engine was on the babied side of 22R blocks.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding