Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Tech Tip of the Month

Just a FYI: Check your bottom knuckle/steering arm bolts every once in a while for the proper torque. Mine weren't loose, but they were not real tight, either. (I haven't retorqued them since the knuckle/birf job).

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 11-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

yup...or this will happen: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ead.php?t=8447
* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDØTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 01-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Rising Sun member

Also, check your lug nuts periodically. I was going somewhere with my friend and he said, hey are your lug nuts supposed to look like that? They were all loose, probably from when I replaced my brake cylinders, and even though I thought I had tightened them up I guess I hadn't, and the ones I did had loosened as well a little bit.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

Very timely. I found a loose lug nut on my 40 yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Also, check your lug nuts periodically. I was going somewhere with my friend and he said, hey are your lug nuts supposed to look like that? They were all loose, probably from when I replaced my brake cylinders, and even though I thought I had tightened them up I guess I hadn't, and the ones I did had loosened as well a little bit.
TLCA #18941
Old 01-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Just what I would expect from a bunch of loose nuts ....

a bunch of loose nuts

Old 01-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman View Post
Just a FYI: Check your bottom knuckle/steering arm bolts every once in a while for the proper torque.
Do you know off hand what the torque on these should be?
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 01-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I was at lunch yesterday in Boulder and as I walked across a parking lot a lady driving a Durango turned left in front of me. As she started moving with her wheels cranked drivers side I heard the rattle of something in her right front hubcap. I yelled at her that something was wrong. Of course she freaked out but she stopped and I told her she needed to check as I thought she had loose lug nuts on that wheel. Sure enough....two nuts were tumbling loose with another about to come off! The remaining two were tight. I offered to help but she was so PO'ed at Discount tire in Boulder that she insisted they come and fix it for her pronto. She was there earlier for a rotate and balance. Wonder if they missed any others?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I was at lunch yesterday in Boulder and as I walked across a parking lot a lady driving a Durango turned left in front of me. As she started moving with her wheels cranked drivers side I heard the rattle of something in her right front hubcap. I yelled at her that something was wrong. Of course she freaked out but she stopped and I told her she needed to check as I thought she had loose lug nuts on that wheel. Sure enough....two nuts were tumbling loose with another about to come off! The remaining two were tight. I offered to help but she was so PO'ed at Discount tire in Boulder that she insisted they come and fix it for her pronto. She was there earlier for a rotate and balance. Wonder if they missed any others?
discount did the same thing to me when i had the exploder.
ige tlca #1431
Old 01-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

I always watch the Discount guys torque my wheels, so no worries there.

The fruits of compulsiveness.

HOWEVER, under the category of lapses of compulsiveness, we bring you the tech tip of THIS week:

Check your toe-in frequently, with a tape measure.

DAMHIK.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Check your toe-in frequently, with a tape measure.
Why? I have over a half million miles on various Land Cruisers and have never had toe-in change after initial setting. I've seen a few bent relay rods and broken tie rod ends on various occasions, and when Perry broke his idler on his IFS Runner in the Rock Garden on Spring Creek he had some awesome toe-out, but other than that I haven't experienced where that's something that needs to be checked routinely.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/