Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Trail Ready

Update: Received my coupons today took about 3 weeks, so pretty quick - they specify which stores you can use them at, including Target and Sams, among others.

Target has a set top box for $49.99
http://tinyurl.com/5n2579

If I get time today I'll go pick it up and let you know how it does.

Coupons are good for 90 days, so waiting for President's day sales is probably not going to work, but now that we're down to $10, that's not too bad.
-Matt
Old 11-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmatt View Post
PS: Also check Qwest for their bundling rates - I used to have Comcast and by switching to a Qwest bundled plan I saved a noticeable amount of money - and my Qwest DSL is down much less often than my Comcast digital cable was.
I agree. Plus, after you get the bundled service, wait a month and then cancel the parts of it you don't want. We got the DSL and phone on the guaranteed for life price and then ditched our phone line and the bill is just for the DSL now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Slightly off original topic put still pertinent....

Plain and simple, which is preferred by ye....

cable or Direct TV
If money wasn't an issue? DirecTV. Since it is, I prefer on air. But that will change as the market goes digital. Then I will use the antenna in the attic for a coat rack. My wife can watch pretty much anything that we would see on local channels on the computer anymore, pretty much whenever she wants. I am trying to figure out how I can circumvent the system to save those videos temporarily to play them on the AppleTV. Then she can watch them on the big screen w/o knowing the difference, 'cept skipping commercials.

I don't believe much in TV anyway,
it is mindless crap that is used to usurp our social values and turn us into self-centered slobs. OFF.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
I am trying to figure out how I can circumvent the system to save those videos temporarily to play them on the AppleTV.
Torrents. I don't have an AppleTV, so I don't know how friendly it is with different file formats, but I just recently downloaded the first five episodes of Life On Mars, put them on a flash drive, and watched them on my PS3. It actually looked nearly as good as live HDTV.

Also, I believe in the near future AppleTV may have support for sites like Hulu similar to how it works with YouTube and Netflix.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Have you guys all seen this yet?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/36608/talk...sten-cable-psa

Hilarious.
"Is this my new TV?"
"Is that in Los Angeles?"
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Have you guys all seen this yet?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/36608/talk...sten-cable-psa

Hilarious.
"Is this my new TV?"
"Is that in Los Angeles?"
Funny.

It being a spoof, I can forgive the misspoken phrases that "At Midnight Feb 17th 2009, all televisions will switch from analog to 100% digital" and "If you are still receiving your signal over the air, you will have to convert your analog signal".
If it were real, I would seriously kill the folks who wrote the ad. 1--I want to meet the fairy god-mother who will wave her wand and change all televisions from being ones that receive analog signals to ones that receive digital signals, and 2--I want to know what idiot is going to convert an analog signal to digital?

I think the words missing for the first sentence is "broadcast stations" instead of televisions, and the second sentence should read "you will have to convert the digital signal to analog."

But, really, I want to know how they got the TV I had in my bedroom when I was in 6th grade (B&W Zenith with rotary channel switch, and a HORIZ and VERT dials).
Old 12-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

ok, back to the issues. i've hooked the converter box up every way possible and run the auto scan after each try, only to have it read no signal, but when i turn it off, i get my local channels plain as day.

i originally hooked it in with the dvd player and the converter box that i have to have so my tv will get the dvd signals, then straight to the tv with no dvd and dvd converter, then with the dvd converter both before the hd converter and behind the hd converter, but no player....same f'n thing

ih8hd!
ige tlca #1431
Old 12-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Ige - did you get it to work?

If not post up the model number of the converter box you got and we can google the specs and see if we can help you.

Isn't your TV a flat screen HDTV?

I think it would all work If you got the Comcast Cable box. I know it costs extra each mocth, but you get more channels and access to their free on Demand service which is cool and free. Lots of movies and shows you can watch whenever you want.

I thought I would mention it because my Dad had Comcast (with the box) for a year and never knew there was free on demand.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 12-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

the flat tv is in the front room. the issue is with the tv in the bedroom. the tv in the bedroom was my parents and they gave it to me in 92 when they moved.

the converter box is an inet ssr1921. no urge to upgrade cable as most tv is crap anyway, so i really don't need more channels of crap (i'd rather save the money). i've tried the bedroom tv in the front room, same situation, only get the local channels and i've tried the flat tv in the bedroom and all the channels come in fine, so it's not in the connection to there.

everything involved is the hd converter box, the dvd/vcr player, the tv and a dvd converter box.
ige tlca #1431
Old 12-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

I wasnt talking about upgrading, just getting their box.

I assume the back of your TV has a coax connector

Using this diagram: http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/support-f...box_hookup.pdf

Are you take the Coax Out on the box to the TV or using the Red white yellow cables?
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 12-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

yes, coax only. too old to have the rca plugs. i hooked it up exactly like that and after the auto scan it still said "no signal"
ige tlca #1431