Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default help get a FJ40 running!

long story short...there is a 1980 FJ40 behind a school near me. the owner has moved away and has asked me to take possession of it and get it running and try and sell it to benefit a charity that is in honor of his mother. (full story is in the members forum) I found out this week that the school is going to have the 40 towed after this weekend. so I spent a couple of afternoons putting it back together. All that it needs now is the engine running! It was running and driving a year ago. I could really use some help getting it running and off the property. I will be working on it friday, if you can come help at all I would greatly appreciate it. Getting an engine to run is NOT my strong suit. Free pizza and beer! Thanks!

T
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 11-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Lifted

Where is the vehicle? What kind of tools will you be needing? Have you done anything to the motor yet, i.e., plugs, wires ,cap, rotor,fluids? What time will you be starting?
Old 11-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Vehicle is in south Denver, near Downing and Yale. I think I have all the tools we need. The 40 was running a year ago...I will be starting around 9am..providing i don't have a sick mom and 2 sick kids tomorrow like I do right now.....need to install a starter, hook up the battery, etc. Added oil, some marvel mystery oil, etc...nothing else yet...

thanks all

T
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
Old 11-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Thumbs up It's Alive!

Timm and I got her running and driving today. Not without a few issues. On the way down, I popped a heater hose and had to pull over to duct-tape the split and refill with coolant. Then, on my way and all was fine.

Timm had a fully charged red top installed when I got there. As it was, the rig had no starter and he had to go get one from his stash and install it, he had already finished that when I got there. Then, one of the battery cables had no nut, so we pulled the SAE bolt and installed an M8 with nut. The other one wouldn't fit over the battery terminal (terminal too small, cable clamp too big, even fully tightened), but we found a drywall screw laying on the ground and screwed it in to make good contact.

We checked the oil, and the level was good. With electrical power now functioning, we turned her over. So far so good. Sprayed some starter spray into the carb and she started right up! Once some fuel got pumped into the carb, she ran well on the fresh gas Timm had put into the tank. Then we noticed a puddle forming underneath and I had Timm shut her down. Turns out the rubber fuel line between the hard line and the filter was cracked and spewing (the mechanical pump had been replaced with an electric pump somewhere upstream.

We went to the parts store and got a new length of fuel line (and some 5/8" heater hose for me), along with a couple gallons of 50/50. Turns out it needed the 50/50, there was no coolant in her and she needed all of it and then some. We replaced the fuel line and started her up again, ran her up to operating temperature and then noticed coolant spewing from where a heater hose was unconnected. We reconnected the hose and started her up again, then noticed coolant spewing from the hard line to the rear heater. We bypassed the entire heater system by connecting the heater hose where it exits the head directly to the hard line at the side cover by the distributor.

Now we started her up again, and drove forward a few feet and back. Looking good! Brakes seem to work, engine runs, coolant and fuel leaks are in check and she seems ready to go. All in all, a good day's cruiser work! She'll be quite drivable from the school back to Timm's place.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 11-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

thanks again jeff! never coul have done it without you!

update...went back over there tonight with some kitty litter stuff for the coolant we spilled and more coolant. she fired right up and I was going to move her to the parking lot to clean up the spill. it was hard to get her moving....felt like the brakes were on...but the emergency break is on th tcase, right? it stalled...then the battery was pretty dead. had to jump it with the 80...then really rev it to get it to move...and even on an incline it does not move, so something is not right. and the battery is still dead. but we rescued another cruiser!! thanks again jeff!!
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
Old 11-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Way to go guys. Timm, I've experienced the same thing regarding hard to move when I forgot to remove my wheel chocks. I'm sure you checked that, but thought I would mention it.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 11-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbuck2 View Post
thanks again jeff! never coul have done it without you!

update...went back over there tonight with some kitty litter stuff for the coolant we spilled and more coolant. she fired right up and I was going to move her to the parking lot to clean up the spill. it was hard to get her moving....felt like the brakes were on...but the emergency break is on th tcase, right? it stalled...then the battery was pretty dead. had to jump it with the 80...then really rev it to get it to move...and even on an incline it does not move, so something is not right. and the battery is still dead. but we rescued another cruiser!! thanks again jeff!!
It felt to me when I drove her back and forth that the rear brakes are adjusted fairly tight. I checked the parking brake and the feel was normal from the hand brake. If the battery is draining without the ignition switched on, then that will have to be troubleshot. Quick way to see if it's the vehicle's system that's draining the battery or if it's a problem battery, is to put a multimeter in line with either if the battery's cables.

In this rig's case, back out the drywall screw we put in the negative terminal, lift the terminal off, then put the multimeter on amps setting between the battery post and the cable (don't forget to move the connection on the multimeter). Nothing reading means it's not the Cruiser's fault, and may be an issue with the battery. A couple hundred mAs would signal a problem in the electrical system. I can help with that.

It was great to get her running though! Happy cruisin'!
Old 11-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

Stan mentioned something about the emergency brake...just found the email

"To be drivable the truck will need to have the e-brake re-adjusted at the transfer case (A student messed with the knob on the ebrake handle)"

guess that explains that.

the battery was draining while it was running...started fine and ran for 10+ minutes...then almost no juice...after I jumped it I ran it for 10-15 minutes and then again almost no juice. good news is 1.5 gallons of antifreeze and it was full and did not overheat while running.

thanks again

t
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
Old 11-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Lifted

I'm glad to hear you got it running. If you'd had given me an address and definite on whether you would be there i.e. sick mom and kids, I would have come up. Sounds like you wouldn't have needed my help anyway. Too many cooks.....
Old 11-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I neglected to check to see if the intregal voltage regulator and alternator were doing their job [smacks forehead]. It was wonderful that the engine was running smooth, and I was able to drive forward and backward a short distance demonstrating lots of systems working right. I did not think to check to battery voltage of charging system's operation. Do'h!