Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default Anyone have a stock 75-78 FJ40?

That can come over tomorrow morning so I can check some details before I weld? Spent the afternoon doing (hopefully) final fitment of one of the quarter panels on my 76, and came up with some questions that a visual examination of a 75-78 will answer. Specifically, I have the CCOT rear channel already welded in to the rear bed, and had it bolted to the frame with the body mounts. I also have the skin that goes over it, but I'm not sure whether the skin goes on first and then the quarter panels, or quarter panel first and then the skin?

The whole section where the ambulance door hinges go on is kind of vague, and it's been too many years since I tore her down to remember. Not to mention, there was so much rust, there wasn't much left anyway. I took a lot of photos, but they are never nearly enough.

I want to get this right the first time, and having another one to look at would be really helpful. My 71 has been good for a lot of things, but when the ambulance doors were introduced with the 1975 model year a number of things changed in this area. If you can make it, give me a call at (303) 674-2386 - I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks and happy cruisin'!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 11-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Many thanks to Ricardo for coming over and helping out today! We got the passenger (right) side quarter panel cut and prepped, but most importantly, figured out the order of assembly for the various parts. Two heads are way better than one, and thank you so much Ricardo!

Many thanks for the drilling and cutting too!

Unfortunately we didn't get around to welding, but after Ricardo left and after the donks improbably won, I went back down and finished the prep and it looks like it's all ready to weld. I have to give Ricardo props for suggesting the rat tail file. After he left I filed the bolt holes in that QP and made it fit a lot better.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

At some point I'd like to replace my rear sill and I have a rusted rocker panel on the passenger side that will need to be repaired/replaces as well. Often times if I can see something first hand it makes it easier to learn and then do and yesterday was a good opportunity to de-mystify a few things. I was glad to help out and appreciate the learning opportunity. I'd still like to see some of the welding.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941

Last edited by RicardoJM; 12-01-2008 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 12-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

I would like to see the new panels welded as well. Are you doing a write up, Jeff?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
At some point I'd like to replace my rear sill and I have a rusted rocker panel on the passenger side that will need to be repaired/replaces as well. Often times if I can see something first hand it makes it easier to learn and then do and yesterday was a good opportunity to de-mystify a few things. I was glad to help out and appreciate the learning opportunity. I'd still like to see some of the welding.
Indeed you are fortunate - I would have liked to see some of that myself. I've got a new rear sill sitting in my garage waiting for some time and some courage on my part to start cutting the old one out.....

Which reminds me... :hijack: ...is it possible to install the new sill without removing the rear quarters?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
...is it possible to install the new sill without removing the rear quarters?
I believe it is based upon what I see in this link. You are further along than I am as you have already picked up the channel. I'm still in the "man I need to learn more about body work so that I can think about being able to do it" stage.

Credit to Jeff for suggesting that we make a template while we were doing the quarter panel work yesterday. This will come in handy to cut the four pieces for the curved ends that get attached to the channel. When you get ready to do yours, you are welcome to grab the template.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 12-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Glad you got it figured out...

My '78 would not be a useful reference as my sill is pretty bad!

Still have Ige's '77 tub waiting to go on.

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 12-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
There'll be plenty of opportunity for that! I'm sorry we didn't fire up the Miller while you were there, but I have learned that it is pretty important to get as much prep done as possible, and line up the ducks before firing up the welder.

Yesterday was a good demystifying day for me too. Having you there, and being able to discuss what we saw on the CCOT web site and then discuss what we saw on the rig helped me out a bunch!

Maybe we can get together and do the welding next weekend? I have an extra welding helmet and you're welcome to take a turn at putting those spots in!
Old 12-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I would like to see the new panels welded as well. Are you doing a write up, Jeff?
It's all been going here. This will probably be my last roll of 35mm - now having two digital cameras I may hang up the SLR for this project. But there's something kinda neat about the 2.5 photo albums I've already filled with photos from this project.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I believe it is based upon what I see in this link. You are further along than I am as you have already picked up the channel. I'm still in the "man I need to learn more about body work so that I can think about being able to do it" stage.

Credit to Jeff for suggesting that we make a template while we were doing the quarter panel work yesterday. This will come in handy to cut the four pieces for the curved ends that get attached to the channel. When you get ready to do yours, you are welcome to grab the template.
Yea - I've read the details of the link a few times - it's been very helpful. My new sill came with the curved ends (wings) already attached (its the "Complete Sill" from CCOT), and so I wondered if I could cut away the old sill and install the new one "behind" the rear quarter without cutting or removing those quarter panels?