Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Wow, a bunch of stuff to digest. It seems like a reasonable first step would be to go revist the timing and carb adjustments. Interesting that the carb adjustment procedure also recommends doing it at operating temperature.

I'll need to get a new vacuum pump. I managed to lose the seal when using my Harbor Freight special when I was using it to bleed the brakes. Is there a "gold standard" brand/model for vacuum pumps?

Regarding the last time I checked these details, it was early this year. I had the carb rebuilt this spring. The guy that did it for me noticed many little things that were different than what was documented in the FSM. I suspect I have a frankencarb. Also this spring (with Jeff Zepp's guidance) I adjusted my valves and set the timing. IIRC we started the timing a 7 but ended up advanced it significantly before finding sweet spot. The truck runs great; good power, no ping, no backfire - just doesn't stop running smoothly.

I may have carbon build up as I had been running without a thermostat until very recently. I'll have to get the BoomBoom to help me see what the fan is doing, I don't have an electric fan. I'll check the cut-off selenoid on the carb to make sure it clicks and has the wire connected. I'll look at a couple of plugs. I am running the low octane, 85.

I am running an Aisin carb. My understanding of the adjustments for the carb and how the mixture is controlled is aligned with Subzali. I am not aware of my carb having anything other than the idle mixture screw.

Of course, I can't eliminate the electrical being a contributor. Thanks all.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 12-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
...I am running the low octane, 85.

Try running some higher octane gas in it. You might be surprised. Your older engine was probably designed to run on leaded gas (I think '72 was the last year). Higher octane fuel will help with preignition and run-on. Better for your valves too.

'85 FJ60
Old 12-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

A quick update on my diseling. A tune up is in order, an inspection of the plugs showed 3 of them with carbon build up and the other three good. My timing is way advanced, I backed it off a bit but did not see an improvement in the diseling. I did start running the mid-grade gasoline and that eliminated the diseling.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 12-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
A quick update on my diseling. A tune up is in order, an inspection of the plugs showed 3 of them with carbon build up and the other three good. My timing is way advanced, I backed it off a bit but did not see an improvement in the diseling. I did start running the mid-grade gasoline and that eliminated the diseling.
If your plugs are carboned up the combustion chamber looks the same if not worse. Sounds like your running to rich.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

Ricardo- Your 40 is just telling you it wants to be driven more!

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 12-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Since you didn't have to do any major work to yours, that means you might have time to come down and help me pull the head on mine.............
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 12-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrucker View Post
Since you didn't have to do any major work to yours, that means you might have time to come down and help me pull the head on mine.............
I've not ever pulled a head, but would be up for working in a heated shop. When are you thinking about pulling it apart?
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 12-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Probably pretty soon since I'll need to send the head somewhere to get rebuilt. With Xmas coming up if I don't get it in pretty quick it might not come back until after the holidays.

I'm still shooting to try and get this thing on the road for one of the club activities right after the new year.

I do have an engine hoist so getting the head off wont result in a hernia

If you or anyone else wants to come down, I always appreciate the help. Even if it's just for moral support and wise a** comments, it beats working alone
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang