Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 12-08-2008, 05:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

Firday evening, I'd say about 1800 (time is sorta relative when you're lounging in a hut) I thought I heard K0NAK being called. I tried again Saturday morning into the 146.970 machine in Summit County. I'm pretty sure that's a CCR linked repeater. Anyway, we could break the squelch and get the repeater tail, but I'm not sure our 5W HTs were enough to get above the noise. If we weren't so lazy we should have headed to higher ground to try again, but oh well.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 12-08-2008, 06:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Firday evening, I'd say about 1800 (time is sorta relative when you're lounging in a hut) I thought I heard K0NAK being called.
If your sense of time was far enough off, it might have been me. I started calling about 3:30 and finished up around 5:00. If you heard something like "K0NAK, K0NAK, KD0CAW" it was me. Hope you guys had a good time even withouth the technology.
TLCA #18941
Old 12-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default It was probably me...

but I was having trouble (I think) with the repeater. I started calling about noon, and tried about every hour on the hour. I tried a couple times on Sat, but no luck.

I say "I think" I was having trouble with the repeater because my first QSO while monitoring was with a guy mobile off the Springs repeater. No problem. Then I made a QSO with a guy in Craig on the Craig repeater, but he told me that i was coming in inconsistently, he couldn't make much of my transmissions. I was receiving the Denver repeater full quieting, putting out 50 watts and a 1.2:1 SWR. So I was not sure after that if I was getting anything that may be heard by you guys.

I tried a couple times with all three callsigns, KNAK, KCPEG and KCZAC, waiting from 20 to 30 seconds between tries to make sure you got a chance to get the HT out.

I want to know how it went, 'cuz I want to go next time.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

My sense of time could absolutely be wacky. What is for sure is that we did not hear you at 1530. Nakman and I achieved the hut at about 3:30 on Friday. I'm fairly certain that it was around dusk when we had the radios on, so 1700~1800 was only a reasonable guess for time. I also monitored Saturday morning about 0900 ~ 0930 and for a few minutes while packing Sunday at about 0700.

Things to note. Inside the hut on the N-NE we can see up the drainage towards Copper Mountain. That is about 4 or so miles distant. The hut itself sits just at treeline but generally does not have good LOS towards developed areas with repeaters (Vail, Frisco, Leadville, etc.). So the RF visibility to the Summit County repeater at 146.790 is not optimal to be sure. Both our radios are VX-7R with Diamond SRH77CA antennas. RX on the 146.790 at this location was about 5 of 9, slightly scratchy but clearly audible. TX at 5W broke the squelch well enough to trigger a repeater tail but I personally never got a reply that indicated anyone understood my call. I tried a handful of locations inside and outside the hut, so I do not think the hut itself was causing significant attenuation of the signal.

We never tried hiking up to the top of the topology surrounding the hut. I fully expect that heading the next few hundred feet in elevation to Searle Pass would help immensely. From there you have optical visibility of Climax tailing ponds and roughly towards Camp Hale. Altitude there is just over 12,000'. Instead of doing the full climb, we chose mostly to fire up the sauna, sip whiskey, relax, frustrate ourselves with a jigsaw puzzle and play poker...

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul