Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

I really like the side mounted fuel can. Improve rear visibility and keeps things a little lower.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Just as a reminder to everyone, if anyone is interested in building a bumper like this, I have most of the materials required to do it. I would be glad to help you build it at my place=heated shop, welder, chop saw, etc.

You bring beer, pizza, and anyone else who wants to help or hang out and BS but not get in the way.

I have the 5' piece of 2x4x1/4 for the main bumper section that will cost you $80. If you order the 2 bushings and 2 collars from Iron Pig Off Road for the spindle, I can give you the center pin and sleeve for free.

If you want to use 2x4 sections to make the angle supports, you will need to pick up another 24" section of the 2x4x1/4. I get my steel from Fastenal in Castle Rock as it is close, convenient and seems to be pretty reasonably priced. Or you could use 24" of 2x3x1/4 angle iron. For the swing arm I would suggest odering a 3' piece of 2x3x1/4 tube. I used the 2x4 stuff because I had it but it is a little overkill. You will also need a T Pin (if you want one) and a latch from McMasters or IPOR.

I bought the pre-built riser from IPOR for $99 and trimmed it up to fit. It looks very professional and it puts the tire on an angle, tilted in at the top. That way you can set the tire on the mount and it will not fall off while you're searching for the lug nuts. If you're on a tight budget we can fab something together out of angle iron if you bring enough of it.

I'll be at Ken's place this Friday if anyone wants to chat more about it.