Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

Check the front end parts, that can make a weird pull under power in my experience as well. Also the cold grease idea has merit. I've had times where the grease in the hub is thick on a really cold morning and they are slow to engage. This can be bad if the hub engages while you are moving, so if that happens I unlock the hub and make due for a couple of miles or use something to warm up the hub (momma's old hair dryer). Or remember to lock the hubs when you get home from work the night before a storm is predicted...

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 12-08-2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Staying on topic
Old 12-09-2008, 12:38 AM

Thanks for all the tips! I know the hubs are locking, I can hear them click into place. My truck does have ball joint spacers so the axles are at a steep angle. Combine the angle with some massive IFS flex could the axle have pulled apart? Since it is snowing now, I will probably give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens.

Sorry guys, no SAS for me. If Peggy's health let her do the harder trails and if she enjoyed them... Besides, our Packard has needs too!

Old 12-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

Hubs. It's pretty easy to tell if they are locked in or not on IFS. Turn the dial, reach behind the wheel and grab the axle between the CV joints. If the axle turns, the hub is not locked.

I put BJ spacers on this past summer, too. Do you have additional lift cranked into the torsion bars beyond the 1.5" that the spacers provide? People have said that the way the BJ spacers change the geometry of the front end will make your truck sketchy on snow. I haven't noticed much of a difference either way, but I also have old style BFG M/T tires and so wet and snowy road stability is sort of relative. Not to mention that my truck has a constantly growing list of issues that's kept it parked a lot this fall, so snow time is very minimal.

Keep in mind that with unlocked diffs only one wheel will spin if both wheels per axle are on slick surfaces. IIRC normally my truck spins the right rear and left front on ice, but it just depends on which wheel gets a touch more traction than the other. So it's possible that nothing is mechanically wrong in the driveline of your truck and you're just seeing the way BJ spacers or worn front end parts changed your suspension.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12-10-2008, 12:27 AM

I installed my spacers May 23rd, 2004! No additional lift except 1" body lift, so that doesn't count.Today, we had no issues on the way to work. I may just have to wait until the next snow fall to see if it does it again.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Or you could... WHEEL THAT SUCKER!
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Or you could... WHEEL THAT SUCKER!
You are right! The Westminster Mall parking lot is usually empty....