Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default HELP! Brake Line question

Guys,

I have a stainless steel brake line that runs from the frame to the rear axle. Unfortunately, I toasted it accidentally when I was welding on the body but had left the ground clamp hooked to the diff from some earlier work there. It got real hot, caught on fire and now of course is shot.

Any ideas where I can find one of these or have one made? It uses a 9mm female fitting at the frame and (I believe) an 11mm male fitting that goes into the T block on the diff. The axles are out of a 69 FJ40 thus the old style fitting even though my rig is a 74. The stainless steel line is 24" long since I am SOA.

I've looked at Downey's, JTO, CCOT, etc and they all seem to only have the newed style lines that have 10mm fitting on each end.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

I would consider upgrading to newer fittings on the axle by replacing the t block and using new fittings and hard lines to the cylinders. That way you can easily find a replacement hose as well.

'85 FJ60
Old 12-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrucker View Post
Guys,

I have a stainless steel brake line that runs from the frame to the rear axle. Unfortunately, I toasted it accidentally when I was welding on the body but had left the ground clamp hooked to the diff from some earlier work there. It got real hot, caught on fire and now of course is shot.

Any ideas where I can find one of these or have one made? It uses a 9mm female fitting at the frame and (I believe) an 11mm male fitting that goes into the T block on the diff. The axles are out of a 69 FJ40 thus the old style fitting even though my rig is a 74. The stainless steel line is 24" long since I am SOA.

I've looked at Downey's, JTO, CCOT, etc and they all seem to only have the newed style lines that have 10mm fitting on each end.
Wow. First of all, there is no such thing on old Land Cruisers 11mm. They are actually British threads, which are essentially unobtanium. To find one, you'd have to scavenge a parts rig of pre-1970 vintage. A better bet would be to convert to standard Japanese (and American) 10mm x 1.00mm threads.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 12-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

I got the response below back from Downey, thats why I thought they were 11mm:

"The 1969-older models that have 9mm at the frame are actually 11mm at the front backing plates and rear T fitting. We have the 9mm and 11mm male fittings, we just don't have the 9mm females needed for the top end of the rear hose. We then make up rear hoses for customers using a rear Swagelock that double-flares itself onto their original steel line at the frame."
Old 12-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

If anyone has a later model rear T block that uses the 10mm fittings and wants to get rid of it, give me a call at 303-319-8976.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I would consider upgrading to newer fittings on the axle by replacing the t block and using new fittings and hard lines to the cylinders. That way you can easily find a replacement hose as well.
Yeah, I may have to go that route. Any suggestions on where to go to get the T Block quickly?

Dang it, after all these months it's finally ready for it's first outing (as soon as Jim gets my carb to me) and now this stupid brake line issue.

I've never driven it any farther than a lap around the block to test various fixes. The first outing should probably be fairly close and not too difficult for a shake down cruise just to make sure everything else is right.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Lifted

I bought some lines at a speed shop northwest of downtown. Went with pre-made lines and adapters, but they offered to make lines for me right there. I can look for the shop - they had fittings, too.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

I ended up going to Jim's Toyota parts yard yesterday and got a T block and hard lines off of a later model rear axle. I'll have to double crimp a new 10mm fitting onto my hard line coming from the frame but other than that it should be close to a straight swap out. That will solve this problem for good, at least until the front line fails and I have to do the same thing all over again. Thanks for the input though.