Old 09-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Outlaws Run 2008...5 years!

More to come

Attached Images

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 09-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

It was a great time. Thanks for organizing and leading this Perry.

I headed out early last Monday and planned to spend a couple of days camping and sightseeing as I made my way to Canyonlands. Since it's the perfect tme of year to see the Aspens change color, I decided to take the scenic route to Utah.

I headed South on 285 towards Buena Vista, then shot West over Monarch Pass into Gunnison, then up into Crested Butte. I camped my first night on Kebler Pass, then headed Northwest over McClure Pass into Glenwood Springs, then West to Utah.

Kebler Pass pics:

Once I got into Utah I had an afternoon and evening to explore so I headed over towards Hanksville and decided to hike around Goblin Valley since I had never been there before. Very cool place.

Goblin Valley:

Perry, Daniel and Cody were planning to meet in Hanksville Wednesday morning before heading the Poison Spring road into Canyonlands. I knew they would be needing to move at a good clip to make the 60 miles of trail to our campsite. I decided to head up the road Tuesday night and camp out solo so that I could run it at a more leisurely pace. I made it in about 10 miles before it started getting dark.

Tuesday night heading up Poison Spring Canyon:

Wednesday morning I woke up at about 5:30 and made breakfast and drank coffee in the moonlight. So awesome to be out there in the desert camping. I started up the trail at 7 and watched the sun come up on my way to the Dirty Devil crossing.

Wednesday morning heading towards the Dirty Devil:

The Dirty Devil had been running extremely low at 13 cfs, so the crossing was easy. It was hard to believe it had been running at 10,000cfs only a month earlier! The trail quickly climbed up into the Orange Cliffs area.

View from above the Dirty Devil:

The scenery was amazing and I stopped often to hike around and enjoy the day. I was certain Perry and the crew would catch up to me, but I ended up driving solo all the way into Canyonlands. The Orange Cliffs portion of the Poison Springs road was a great drive and really drives home the fact you're out in the middle of the desert.

I passed this old car/trailer thing down in a wash. Looked like they had converted it into a camper of some sort. Bizarre.

This is heading out of the Orange Cliffs area at Sunset Pass and into the flats before Teapot Canyon:

From here the road into the Maze District of Canyonlands gets pretty twisty and rough. It took me a few hours to go from Sunset Pass to the Dollhouse.

Teapot canyon road:

Land of Standing Rocks to the Dollhouse:

Perry sure knows how to pick a campsite. The Dollhouse was an amazing spot. Crazy huge rock formations over-looking the Colorado river. I arrived before sunset and set up camp.

Dollhouse:

Perry, Daniel and Cody pulled in just before dark. Here's the man-with-the-plan and his newly tricked out rtt equiped 'Runner :

Much was consumed and we crashed. The plan was to camp at the Dollhouse 2 nights and hike around and relax thursday.

Kurt was planning on running late and he didn't hit the Poison Spring trail until 10 PM and bombed the whole way to camp in 4 HOURS in the dark! Nuts! It took me about 8 hours.

will post more later...

Last edited by MDH33; 09-30-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Part two:

Thursday we all crawled out of our tents and were greeted to another day of foul weather :

We decided to hike down to the Colorado river. Perry knew some cool history for this area, so hopefully he'll add some more pics and details. The hike was tough, but we were rewarded with a swim in the river to cool off.

Colorado River:

We had a lazy day after that of napping, eating, a little more hiking and another great sunset.

We ran into a group of guys from the Hillbilly's 4x4 club out of Denver who ended up in the campsite next door. Funny to meet a fellow CO. 4x4 club way out there. We all hung out and shared a before calling it a night.

Friday we packed up and headed back through Teapot Canyon and up onto Robbers Roost. Daniel had to head out early to intercept some fam down at Hite marina. That's Kurts red Taco, Cody's jeep (we tried to convert him all week) and Perry out front.

View from the Flint Trail looking at the country we just covered:

It was a long day of driving and we decided to look for a campsite near Horseshoe Canyon. We wanted to hike the canyon Saturday. We found a great spot near the Canyon off an old 2 track on BLM land.

Kurt's rig at camp and Perry on lookout:

Saturday we hiked down into Horseshoe Canyon. The trail used to be a road, but it was closed when the area became part of Canyonlands. Still a great hiking trail with lots of pictographs and petroglyphs that were made by Archaic people thousands of years ago. We ran into a ranger at the bottom who we had coincidentally met a couple of times over the course of the week and she gave us a history lesson on the rock art. Very cool.

Horseshoe canyon:

After the long and arduous hike out of the canyon we were all decided that a swim in the Green River followed by beer and burgers at Ray's Tavern was in order. After chow we camped near Crystal geyser, had a few more and crashed before heading home Sunday morning. The geyser went off at about 2am, and then again at about 8am. Quite the show.

Crystal geyser:

It was a great trip. Not a lot of technical wheeling, but we covered almost 200 miles of dirt through some amazing scenery and learned some great history. Perfect weather, six nights camping, driving my 40 through the desert and hanging out with friends.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

:jealous: It looks like a beautiful run. Great time of year to be out there. More pics (yea.. I already looked at all of them on smugmug )
TLCA#4180
Old 09-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Great trip report guys!!!

I love that area!!! The dollhouse is amazing. Great times!!!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 09-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

awesome
82 FJ40
Old 09-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Great pics Wish I could have made it. Maybe next year
71 FJ40 project
TLCA 13269
KVRT

" Leave the chrome at home " - Uncle Ben - Rubithon 2008
Old 09-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Man, that looks awesome. I'm going to have to make that trip one year. I talked to Dan last Wednesday evening -- they hadn't yet caught up with you, Martin. Funny that cell phones work in the middle of nowhere.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Man, that looks awesome. I'm going to have to make that trip one year. I talked to Dan last Wednesday evening -- they hadn't yet caught up with you, Martin. Funny that cell phones work in the middle of nowhere.
Yeah, and you invited Dan to the Wynkoop and not me. I see how it is

So a few pics. Try and get some more up tonight before the meeting.

1) view from the start of the trail
2) Cody in the Canyon
3) A bit of green in the canyon
4) Daniel in the Canyon
Attached Images

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 10-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

beautiful stuff.