Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

I left early and exited to the south, by Hite. Got gas there but still had plenty after coming in via Poison Springs Canyon. It was about an hour from the highway at Hite to the meadow where the portion to the Dollhouse starts. Very easy dirt road. There is a slot canyon along the way that I did not get to explore. I'd want to spend more time in Poison Springs canyon as there were many side canyons that begged to be hiked. Same for the Dollhoouse area. It would be easy to spend 2-3 days doing hikes in there.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Lifted

Thanks for all the feedback!

We got our reservation for the dollhouse a couple of weeks ago for late March, I think my brother is going to weasel out given the road conditions and it is probably better as I don't want to travel that far and be faced with the decision of having to turn back.

I may be posting up in the trip planning section looking to fill the permit with another vehicle if anyone is interested in comming along. The permit allows 3 vehicles and 9 people, I have 4 people in my vehicle. It is for the nights of Mar 19,20,21. I will see if my brother backs out this next week.

If he does back out I think I will alter my route to cross the dirty devil, because all long range trips like this should include forging a river!

I am bringing in 20 gallons of fuel based on my low end calculations of mileage and having a safety factor of 5 gallons.

Were any communications possible from the Dollhouse? Cell phone or HAM radio to a repeater? I am considering renting a satelite phone if we make the trip solo, I have two young children and would like some line of communication if the landcruiser decides not to start.

Did you arrange to get your actual permit prior to the trip or did someone stop by Hans Flat Ranger Station on the way in?
http://www.coloradobluemountain.com - Drink Local Wine!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

Here's a useful link to let you monitor the Dirty Devil flow prior to heading into the canyon:

Dirty Devil

The river can fluctuate massively, so don't go that way if there is weather. Also, if there is weather while in the Orange Cliffs section between the Dirty Devil and Canyonlands/Sunset pass, that could be sketchy too as the trail travels through washes in the bottom of the canyon most of the way.

I traveled that stretch solo and it took me over 8 hours of driving. Kurt did it in 4, but he's crazy. If you have the time, I would recommend doing the drive in through Poison Spring over 2 days camping along the way. It's a beautiful stretch of trail and worth spending time hiking around and enjoying the scenery.

I had no cell coverage at the Dollhouse (T mobile), but I think Cody and Kurt did.

Here's some pics of the trail. This is the stretch between 95 South of Hanksville to Sunset Pass/Canyonlands:

'85 FJ60
Old 12-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

I saw these threads/pictures a couple of days ago and can't get them out of my mind. Well, I'm sitting in a 10 hour meeting with 8 people dynamically writing a Powerpoint presentation we're gonna give in TWO MONTHS so I'm actively encouraging daydreaming.

But seriously, just incredible images. I'm thinking spring break this year. I already ordered three books and paid $17 for two-day shipping.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Martin - what kind of camera do you have. Those are great!

Verizon worked in many locations. Not what I hoped for in such a remote area but I suppose good for emergencies. I'd love to get back out there and will keep those days in mind. There are a couple of people I want to get out there and play some music with.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
Martin - what kind of camera do you have. Those are great!
Thanks. I have a Canon Powershot G3 4 megapixel. It's 8 years old and I have taken over 10,000 pics with it and it keeps going strong. Tough little camera.

'85 FJ60
Old 12-19-2008, 08:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Should be a great time of year to be out in that area. Do keep an eye on the weather when doing the Flint. Would love to join you but already got a pre Moab trip to the Henry's planned.

Look forward to the trip report

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_wagon View Post
Thanks for all the feedback!

We got our reservation for the dollhouse a couple of weeks ago for late March, I think my brother is going to weasel out given the road conditions and it is probably better as I don't want to travel that far and be faced with the decision of having to turn back.

I may be posting up in the trip planning section looking to fill the permit with another vehicle if anyone is interested in comming along. The permit allows 3 vehicles and 9 people, I have 4 people in my vehicle. It is for the nights of Mar 19,20,21. I will see if my brother backs out this next week.

If he does back out I think I will alter my route to cross the dirty devil, because all long range trips like this should include forging a river!

I am bringing in 20 gallons of fuel based on my low end calculations of mileage and having a safety factor of 5 gallons.

Were any communications possible from the Dollhouse? Cell phone or HAM radio to a repeater? I am considering renting a satelite phone if we make the trip solo, I have two young children and would like some line of communication if the landcruiser decides not to start.

Did you arrange to get your actual permit prior to the trip or did someone stop by Hans Flat Ranger Station on the way in?

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"