Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 12-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerdo View Post
Glen
You are such a gadget guy!

We have 3 dial gauges and they are real close.
lol! It's true, I won't even try to deny it. It's downright near a sickness. When I'm old and senile I'm sure my house will look like a tornado hit a Grainger and petered out in my living room.

2001 4Runner SR5 Auto - Armorology Front Bumper, Warn M8000, 1/2" Technora line, - Toytec coilovers - OME 851s w/Bilsteins - Yokohama Geolandar MT+ 305/70R16 - F&R ARB lockers - Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders - Engel 15 Freezer - Low profile cargo - Laptop mount - Thule roof basket - Viper 5900 remote start - Cobra 8WSXTII CB Radio - Stainless 304 rear bumper and tire carrier w/chainsaw mount.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Wincher

It is funny how the hi-tech things are to make our life easier and they do seam to complicate it instead.

Your AWESOME digital air gauge is going to have it's batteries die and I'm going to rescue you with my simple dial gauge.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

You guys are a bunch of SPOF victims! (Single point of failure). I will continue to carry the dial gauge, and my compressor has a sorta accurate gauge on it that suffices should the two other ones die...

But you are talking to someone who carries spare axles, has two batteries, has two compressors not one, uses an on board welder... THAT is a SICKNESS!
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I wish I could find valve stems like I had three sets of tires ago! Pull the core and they would whistle about 12#....perfect! If you are using CO2 and are worried about how accurate your tire gauges are you really need a life! All gasses fluctuate with temperature so just because you filled it to 35.276 # after finishing the trail doesn't mean it will still be at 35.276 +/- .001 after 20 miles of road travel!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Of course when your battery dies in the gauge and you have to get home you can always fill your tires and drive the car the old fashioned way, with uneven pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 12-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Bill that 2air/4air stuff looks kind of interesting, hadn't seen that before. Also looks like a bunch more stuff to carry around to be honest. But I like equalizing aspect, I bet I could figure out a way to hard plum something similar.. and I carry only one guage, it's an Accugage that I bought when I got a CO2 system years back. Seems close enough..

I do have 3 compressors though... oba + a 12v for each battery

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have the 2air set up. It is not from him but another company. I got it from somebody on expedition portal for cheap. I like the idea of getting the frt and rr tires the same pressure when wheeling.

Like UB said when we are driving home the tires will all be different temps anyway so the pressures will be different unless you are using nitrogen. Just packing our rigs with extra weight effects the pressure. More on one side will cause that tire to heat up more and increase the pressure.

I don't really think a few pounds difference will affect our driving/handling that much. Adding bumpers and big ol tires on the rack causes more problems DAMHIK

Don't get me wrong I like gadgets as much as the next guy, and I did a bunch of research on air gauges about 6 months ago. Seems the gauge I had was off by 8 pounds so when we were on the snow run I kept sinking in as Red Chili was floating on top. I lowered to 4 pounds or so I thought, actually 12 pounds and still no good. After I tried Bill's gauge and saw the difference I adjusted my gauge to read the "correct" poundage.

I will have to compare my set up with the new gauges you guys have, hope I'm not to far of.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 12-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
You guys are a bunch of SPOF victims! (Single point of failure). I will continue to carry the dial gauge, and my compressor has a sorta accurate gauge on it that suffices should the two other ones die...

But you are talking to someone who carries spare axles, has two batteries, has two compressors not one, uses an on board welder... THAT is a SICKNESS!
So you're saying that I'm not going to get better only worse? Not only will I be planning the failure points but having instantaneous triplicate redundancy built in? I suppose instead of fighting it I should just accept it. If I'm doomed to a life devoid of normalcy then I should at least be happy in my insanity.

With this new epiphany I've decided I'd rather be ignorant, blissful, and lucky than well informed with a sense of self responsibility. Besides my personality leads me to do what ever it takes to be lazy, no matter how much work it takes.

BTW I'm jazzed to see your rig in motion. The last time I saw it you had the instrument cluster torn apart. IMHO you have one of the sweetest rigs in the nation. Beautiful!

2001 4Runner SR5 Auto - Armorology Front Bumper, Warn M8000, 1/2" Technora line, - Toytec coilovers - OME 851s w/Bilsteins - Yokohama Geolandar MT+ 305/70R16 - F&R ARB lockers - Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders - Engel 15 Freezer - Low profile cargo - Laptop mount - Thule roof basket - Viper 5900 remote start - Cobra 8WSXTII CB Radio - Stainless 304 rear bumper and tire carrier w/chainsaw mount.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:24 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Like UB said when we are driving home the tires will all be different temps anyway so the pressures will be different unless you are using nitrogen.
Never heard of nitrogen being immune to temperature. What's being said about nitrogen? Or maybe I misunderstood?

Old 12-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yes Nitrogen (N) isn't affected by temps as C02 is. Race teams use it and a lot of fleet car/truck companies use it too. I am using it in my GMC, wife's Toyota and filled up three of my friends cars. It has been around in the retail market for a while but really popped up last year when gas prices were sky high and everybody was trying anything to get better MPG. Last year my Argon bottle was empty so I swapped it for a N bottle and split the cost between all of us. So far the same pressure as last year.

Now dealerships are advertising it, do all 4 tires for 39.95 I don't think that is a good deal but some do.

Because Nitrogen is pretty costly it is not a good thing to use in our crawlers unless money doesn't matter. The constant deflating and inflating of our tires would waste a ton of money.

Here is a link that explains it better, plus it is a pretty cool site

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...instead-of-air

Quote:

TLCA #6136