Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Sorry I was not more timely...
No worries. Thanks for the suggestion though.

More questions. Is there any benefit to bench bleeding these before I begin, or can I just bolt them on and bleed them via the pedal? Is the clutch free play set prior to bleeding?

(I need a manual for this rig)
Old 12-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
(I need a manual for this rig)
Go to this thread.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=3099

If you follow the directions in that thread, you will find a folder called 1993_Truck_FSM. This is the whole FSM in PDF. It will give you enough understanding on this, it's the same for all trucks in principle.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 12-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Go to this thread.

If you follow the directions in that thread, you will find a folder called 1993_Truck_FSM. This is the whole FSM in PDF. It will give you enough understanding on this, it's the same for all trucks in principle.
Got it, Thanks!
Old 12-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Trail Ready

When i picked up my 89 4runner, the PO handed me a bottle of Brake Fluid, and showed me where he fills it up every week.. (Clutch Master)

My Driver side Carpet is BLACK due to the leaking Master for 5 years or so.. Under the Carpet there is alot of Surfuce Rust..

Took me 20 minutes and $5 at the Junk yard to pull out a new one. but now i need to put in a new carpet kit!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Go to this thread.

I find I don't need to bench bleed with a pressure bleeder. Saves a lot of unnecessary under-truck verbage... LOL. ESPECIALLY with the clutch system, as it goes up before it goes down...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I find I don't need to bench bleed with a pressure bleeder. Saves a lot of unnecessary under-truck verbage... LOL. ESPECIALLY with the clutch system, as it goes up before it goes down...
I have a Motive power bleeder, too. It's OK on the brake M/C, a major PITA on the clutch master (I have my ARB compressor in the way, which makes getting in there extra un-fun). I'd personally bench bleed the clutch M/C rather than fiddle with the bleeder. I only have the universal adapter, if there exists a proper adapter then Power Bleeder might be much easier to deal with. I routinely end up blowing fluid out of the stupid thing at first.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 12-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

Before you add fluid to the reservoir... pressurize it and make sure it holds pressure. Adjust till it does. Then add fluid.

DAMHIK...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

I read also that you can "gravity bleed" the clutch master. I don't have a pressure bleeder, so I was going to try this gravity method, then finish the old fashioned way. Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll let you know how it goes, should be finished this morning.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotel View Post
When i picked up my 89 4runner, the PO handed me a bottle of Brake Fluid, and showed me where he fills it up every week.. (Clutch Master)

My Driver side Carpet is BLACK due to the leaking Master for 5 years or so.. Under the Carpet there is alot of Surfuce Rust..

Took me 20 minutes and $5 at the Junk yard to pull out a new one. but now i need to put in a new carpet kit!
Luckily I'm catching mine early. Only a few drops have managed to hit my carpeting.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

I bench bleed mine first having wasted time with air in the master cylinder on a couple of racecars in the past. It only takes a couple of pushes.

Then, I put a 2x4 between the pedal and the seat to depress the pedal. I opened the bleeder on the slave and worked on something else for a spell.
I kept an eye the clutch master level. It gravity bled just fine on my truck.