Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default F engine Cam question

I have the pan off and am making good progress getting the rings and rod bearings replaced.

Looking up from below I can see the cam lobes pretty clearly. Looks like there is a fair amount of pitting on the lobe surfaces. How much of this is OK before you need to replace the cam & lifters?

How tough is it to replace the cam with the block in the chassis?

Looking at the MAF website they have either stock or RV re-ground cams with resurfaced lifters. The RV cam is only $40 more than the stock grind. Can I use the RV cam with stock valve springs? I just had new ones installed on my rebuilt head. If I need to replace the cam, any suggestions on where to get it from or is MAF as good as any?
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 12-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Randy, I seem to recall RougeLeader having just gone through this sort of thing with his engine rebuild. I couldn't find the post on the board so it probably happened on the e-mail list while the forum was down. Unfortunately I must not have save the e-mail thread. Of course I could be recalling a dream and none of it ever happened. Perhaps Sean will chime in when he sees the thread.
TLCA #18941
Old 12-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I use the red-line of my 2F to smooth down my cam lobes.
Attached Images

pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 12-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrucker View Post
I have the pan off and am making good progress getting the rings and rod bearings replaced.

Looking up from below I can see the cam lobes pretty clearly. Looks like there is a fair amount of pitting on the lobe surfaces. How much of this is OK before you need to replace the cam & lifters?

How tough is it to replace the cam with the block in the chassis?

Looking at the MAF website they have either stock or RV re-ground cams with resurfaced lifters. The RV cam is only $40 more than the stock grind. Can I use the RV cam with stock valve springs? I just had new ones installed on my rebuilt head. If I need to replace the cam, any suggestions on where to get it from or is MAF as good as any?
You can replace the cam without yanking the engine, but it's a fair amount of work:

http://rzeppa.org/tech/cam.htm

I have mixed feelings about "RV" cams. They normally require a fair amount of tweaking in carb and ignition to get to work properly, and normally give something else up, such as other areas of the power band, idle, and cold running etc. They can give better power at certain RPMs, but IMHO the stock geometry is an excellent balance between the various trade offs for these engines.

As to your first question, that is REALLY subjective. Without either clear photos or a personal look-see I really can't answer that. Obviously pitting is bad, but on these engines, if the actual contact surfaces are well hardened it may not make much difference in longevity.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 12-23-2008, 12:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

If you go with an RV can go with fresh billet as a reground tend to have to steep ramps which causes very rapid opening of the valves which promotes valve float. 2F's really respond well to RV grinds but you will want headers/exhaust, recurved distributor and richer carb jetting to realize the full benefits.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I've decided 2 things:

1-I'm going to hold off for now on replacing the cam & lifters. I'm sure it needs it but this isn't my DD so it should be OK for a little while longer. Then I can tear into it next summer without having to do much more work than if I do it now.

2-I'll go with a stock cam. Not enough benefit from the RV cam to justify the extra work to get everything right.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang