Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Matt,

Did you ever drive my 40?

4" SUA on 33x12.50 BFG MT's

4 degree shims in front end, spring flip on rear pack for wheelbase.

Springs are from Downey, I found out after I bought that Mark Algazy (sp?) of Mark's Off Road stocks the same springs! Doetsch Tech shocks.

I thought the ride was pretty decent, the thought it was too bouncy.

Now that I have a Pig on stock springs, the 40 feels a little less refined...

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 12-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Post 2 of this thread shows the before and after from my old 40 along with a link to a discussion of lifts showing the installation of a 2.5" lift I found helpful at the time

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...1977-fj40.html

There are other pictures in that thread. Note that my rear wheel wells had been trimmed and I had the bushwaker trim added
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 12-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
Matt,

Did you ever drive my 40?

4" SUA on 33x12.50 BFG MT's

4 degree shims in front end, spring flip on rear pack for wheelbase.

Springs are from Downey, I found out after I bought that Mark Algazy (sp?) of Mark's Off Road stocks the same springs! Doetsch Tech shocks.

I thought the ride was pretty decent, the thought it was too bouncy.

Now that I have a Pig on stock springs, the 40 feels a little less refined...
Just briefly on the street to check out your power steering...

I'm experiencing right now how much a stiff suspension is horrible both on the road and off, because I have an AAL in my rear leaf packs, and even with my tire chains and two sandbags in the back it's the roughest ride I've ever had in the 40...

I'm going to pull out the AAL at some point before next summer and just run the stock springs until I go after a lift kit. If I don't I will miss my "squishy" suspension feel too much I fear. Those stock springs are nice for that
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

I drove Nakman's 40 when it had the stock suspension back on it and I was amazed at how cushy a 40 could feel.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Just buy an 80 get some real tires and forget the chains! Go where 40's and Runners only dream and read about!
This particular snow run would have gone nowhere without chains - I slid back about 50 feet with all tires spinning forward right at the bottom of the hill - Luckily Nick was far enough back I stopped before I slid into him. The snow turned to icy packed snot as soon as you rolled over it - I'm not sure anything less than a LOT wider tire at a pressure low enough for beadlocks would have been better than the chain action..
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 12-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
post #9 of this thread shows a 4" lift w/ 33s...
So does post 26 i really liked my skyjackers.
ige tlca #1431
Old 12-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Rising Sun member

whatever Uncle Ben. The point is that tires weren't the right tool for the job that day, they needed a little help.
Rising Sun Bio
Old 12-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
whatever Uncle Ben. The point is that tires weren't the right tool for the job that day, they needed a little help.
I know....ice is ice and it requires some bite but never the less ya gotta chill out bud....life's to short to stress about having fun!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Rising Sun member

so you're saying that calling me a weenie and making monday morning quarterback comments about my judgment out on the trail is fun?

I can take the comment about buying an 80 and throwing on a 6" lift and 35" Boggers and going...where? I've seen how quickly 80s become beached whales in deep snow due to their weight.

Of course my truck is like that too, but that's because I don't have all the money in the world to throw all the goodies at my truck that I would like. Hence the question where I was limiting myself to a simple, basic, 2 1/2" or 4" SUA lift so I could sneak a little larger tire in there without opening up a huge can of worms that would likely result after going SOA. At least I recognize that I'm not good enough to do my own cut-and-turn, doesn't that at least make you happy and feel a little safer on the road?

So can we get back to the original question? I know there's more 40 guys out there who either have or who have ridden in a 4" SUA truck and could comment on the ride.
Rising Sun Bio
Old 12-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

I remember reading on Mud when I was searching that the Hell for Stout (I think) that CCOT sells are really stiff. I think BDS are the best and most expensive. Skyjacker was the compromise I selected, but there shocks suck and my ride improved a lot when I went to Bilstien shocks.

Thinking if people are commenting on their ride they should also mention which springs

So 4" Sky Jacker Lift - Nakari said too stiff

4" Skyjacker Lift - Romer said ride was great for a 40, but improved when swapping in the Bilstiens. (Tim was use to his 80)
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i