Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 01-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default 2009 Snow and Pizza Run Jan. 3rd

Scott: We just got home and I had to get on the forum and THANK you for getting this trip together!!! We had a great time!! and a special thanks to the club for the Pizza!!! Looking forward to seeing all of you soon. I will post a couple of pic's up as soon as I get them downloaded... GOOD TIMES

Cheers,

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 01-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Rising Sun Commander

That was awesome. I've done the snow run a ton of times and this was the first time I've stuck it out for the pizza... little did I know I may have been missing out on the best part. Conditions were excellent up there, everyone I ran into was super cool, I think just about everyone got involved in some sort of recovery effort. Fun time, for sure. thanks everyone!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

Glad you all made it back safely.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

That was the best snow run in years. Sure we winched a bunch, but the driving part made the winching worth it.

mini truck winch train worked great!
Old 01-04-2009, 05:49 AM
Rising Sun Member

The snow level was great. Deep enough to be fun but not so deep you couldn't get around. Quite a turnout both for the run and the dinner at Beau Jo's.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 01-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Wincher

I hade an awesome time. Got stuck some, winched some. Made it thru some deep stuff and kept going. What a great group. Thanks for letting me come along. Sorry I couldn't make it for the pizza. I didn't have my camera so I'm waiting to see everyones pictures.

Chris
Old 01-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
That was the best snow run in years. Sure we winched a bunch, but the driving part made the winching worth it.
I agree. Perfect conditions and a great day! Thanks Scott for leading the day again.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

Outstanding, what a great run

Were we all so occupied after the ice hill slip 'n slide that nobody took any pics?
Old 01-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

Scott...thanks for leading, and especially for letting me ride around with you all day!!! I had a great time. It was fun getting people un-stuck!!! Not as much fun as it would have been driving and getting stuck, but still lots of fun! I'll try to post some pics when I download them from my camera later today. I think I also have a couple of short videos. Gotta finish my garage project first (before going back to work tomorrow)!!!
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 01-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

Wow, it was a great time yesterday. Many thanks to Scott Yoder and all who helped keep us safe and enjoying the day. Being in the high country is a very beautiful experience any time of year, but we were blessed with an excellent day for the 2009 Snow and Pizza Run.

With so many vehicles it’s impossible to cover the whole event. TheBoomBoom and I took some pictures through the day and here is the story they tell.

We’ll start with some Ford content; here TheBoomBoom is checking the chains on the Bronco. This was our first time running in snow and first time using chains. I’d really like to thank MtnTrucker for lending us some tighteners for the chains.

Here is the first line of the day, we are working our way up the hill to the first large packing area. Listening to the radio, it seemed that at one point we had vehicles stuck on both the hard line icy hill and the bypass.

Same line looking from the front to the back. The coordination in these spots was very good. There was a team on top and team on bottom using radio communication to keep track of everyone and make sure all had a clear path up.

Most of the vehicles I saw on the run went without chains. This was the “last chance” best place to put em on if you wanted them.

There was a bunch of nice looking 40s out on the run. Somehow, we only managed one good close up shot.

MtnTrucker has a real nice 40 but was waiting on parts so the 40 stayed home. He did do an excellent job of getting into the Toyota spirit of things.

Our tail gunner had an interesting rig. This is an 80 with the 40 body put on top. It was great to have so many come down from the Horsetooth club to join us for the day.

The day was not without problems for all, but no trucks were left up on the mountain. Here is a shot of a 22R needing a bit of priming to get started. Once it fired up it was on its way.

This is a shot of the first parking area and trucks waiting in queue to get up the next hill. How many rigs do you see?

This photo was taken right where we decided to turn around just up the hill from the first parking area. We made it up the hill to our spotters just fine but really started spinning in a big long drift. For a stock rig with 31” tires it went further than I had expected. It was a good day, I even made my first DX HF contact with a special event at the observatory in Toronto.

Coming back down the hill, MtnTrucker popped the tire off the rim.

There was a bit of trouble with blockage in the tube used to lower the spare tire. Here is a shot of McGyver using his “wire taped to a handle thingamabob” to clear the blockage. With the blockage clear, the spare tire came down easily. In short order, MtnTrucker was rolling down the hill.

Here is a series of photos of trucks and occupants that were snapped during the day.

Here is the leading candidate for Commander in 2010…

Back to wheeling pictures…

I’m not sure what the story is on this picture, but it may be two 80s were giving a hand to the seafoam green Dodge that lost its front drive shaft. Either way, it’s a cool photo of these nicely built rigs.

Finally some photos of pizza!

Thanks again to all for a safe, fun and enjoyable event.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941

Last edited by RicardoJM; 01-04-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: 22RE is fuel injected 22R is not.