Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 01-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks to all for a great time and thank you Scott for pulling all this off so successfully.

Here is a picture of Nathaniel with the McGyver contraption (look closely to see the wire) used to remove debris from Randy's spare tire lowering mechanism. We also later tried to reseat the bead on his tire but I did not nearly use enough white gas. Here is a link to a successful application of this technique.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Great time wheeling in the snow. Sorry I missed the pizza, had two dogs at home wetting their pants. Thank you Scott for leading the charge.....looked like you had the most fun pulling everybody back down the mountain!!!!

______
Old 01-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

We had a blast! A big thank you goes out to everyone.
Attached Images

pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 01-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Good fun was had for sure. I was surprised to see that it hadn't really snowed much up there since we were there a month ago. But, that was good in that we were able to get around so everyone could get into the action this time. The first group (Tom, Bill, Rudy and Kimmel) were able to get all the way to the top. Bill and Tom continued on down to Fall River road. I guess they had to winch down through very deep snow once they got into the trees. I was with the middle group and the Horsetooth guys led the last group. At least that's just how it worked out with about 27 rigs on the trail. The Horsetooth 4 Wheelers were a very cool and equipped bunch of people. We were glad they joined us. Radio communications were key. Since we were so spread out, having the HAM was key. Even Uncle Ben chimed in and called Beou Jo's with a headcount for us.

The snow got pretty deep past the first playground and would high center most folks. I led the middle group the 2nd playground where it was obvious it would require winching multiple times to continue. This is where Uncle Ben and his group turned around I believe (I own him 20 bucks). We turned around after more play and met the last group coming up. We managed to let them all by as we headed back up to the rise near the first playground. We didn't think much of this section coming down it, but coming up was a winch fest for another hour of so to get everyone back up. This was the exact spot that Craze broke his berf years ago. I think Ige even got strapped some more going down - she needs new tires. I'm sure it was good for many people to be able to get stuck, push the limits and feel out their strengths and weaknesses. It was interesting for me to see how well or poorly people would do based on the weight of their rig, tires and amount lift etc. We all made it back to the middle parking area with a nice view of the storm below us then took York Gulch down to I70. Success!

I'll post pictures later.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Wincher

We enjoyed driving down to join you and will try to do this more often. I got a chance to put a few faces together with names. Thanks for the invitation, pizza and good time.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Pictures.....
Attached Images

______
Old 01-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

few more.....
Attached Images

______
Old 01-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

Want to say thanks to the Rising Sun and Scott for a AWSOME time. As the little guy on the run i don't think i did to bad. but than again being a photographer and having no PICS because i was to busy either trying to get up a hill or getting unstuck says a lot. My vivid memory would be as i left the upper parking lot and started up it was deep but kept my foot in it till about half way up there was a little bump, i got on it hoping and praying but that is where i stopped. About 200 yards from anyone. i get on the radio to let folks know and before i can say anything i here.... im stuck... im stuck.... im stuck..... im stuck... from there i tried to dig out but when i seen the snow under the whole FJ i know i had to wait. There were rigs all over the mountain at any givin time. All i can say it was a BLAST!!!! Cant wait till the next one. Oh and skid plates on FJs work great to keep you on top till the tires have nothing to grab on to. Almost forgot.. Thanks Don for getting me out of the last deep spot. Did not get a chance to say it before we split up. Till next time see everyone on the trail.

Kenny
TT FJC
Old 01-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Scott, with so many participants on a run where so much waiting COULD have occurred... and didn't... all I can say is, you are a great leader among great leaders. And you weren't even a drill sergeant!

I will post up pix later. I started up Yankee Doodle Hill but the trail proper was drifted in (it is a drainage) and though there was an established bypass to the SE of it, I didn't feel good taking it and backed down. If I had not, I am pretty certain I could have summitted Yankee Doodle. Not bad for January.

Tom and I definitely did have to winch DOWNhill to get down to Fall River Road via Alice. Drifts were at places over my hood measured top to ground, though we would kinda float up on them, burying ourselves only down to the frame. It was work but we made it! If we hadn't been able to proceed... we would have had to walk out. Or shovel well into dark. There was NO strapping back up, NO rear mounted winches, and NO other way.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Wow, that's a huge group. And from the pics I only recognize 5 or 6 of the rigs. I was going to come, but I had a feeling it was going to be a traffic jam on the trail.

Glad you all had fun.

'85 FJ60