Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Can Anyone recommend Local Toyota Deisel shop/parts?

Hi all,
It looks like there wasn't enough anti-freeze in the coolant on my Troopy. That Cold snap a couple of weeks ago caused it to freeze (kept thinking I should put in a block heater...).
So far it only looks like a cracked oil cooler cover (it is cast aluminum). But I can't say for certain that there isn't more damage yet. So it could be a big repair...

Does anyone know a local source for Toyota Deisel parts (2H with a turbo), also can anyone recomend a shop to work on this, if it turns out to be a bigger job than I can do?
I know that the 2H was used in large forklifts, so I figure that there is a good chance someone in the front range knows the engine, even if they don't know Troopys...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best,
Abe
Old 01-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Diesel....not much local.

Hugh at Safari Ltd? perhaps could wrench on it.

http://www.safari-ltd.com/

Robbie may want the work as well

Jerry could probably get you the parts at Boulder Toyota
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 01-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

It can be a pita to source diesel parts depending on what it is. 4wheel auto can source you parts too. http://store.4wheelauto.com/index.php

I get my emissions done at diesels only and I've seen a couple B diesels. IMHO those old diesels are simple and any mercedes, volvo or vw diesel mechanic can work on it as long as you can source the parts.

Subzali used Materials Handling in Denver for a head gasket
TLCA#4180
Old 01-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

Sorry ABE, I will be in NM for the next 10-14 days working on several projects. One thing that if you have not done, that I would do is tarp it real good and thaw it out before any more damage is done. If you have a propane or kerosene heater, warm it up for a few hours and drain what you can out of the block. If you have broken a cover with expansion of the coolant, I would bet you have displaced a freeze plug or two, as well as maybe hurt the radiator. Any how they are a tough engine, but I would try and get what you can out the block and head, radiator. This also would allow you a chance to see if it leaks out of some other areas before it get worked on.
Good luck Robbie
Old 01-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Thanks a bunch for the extra advice Robbie. Would you have any interest in working on the truck when you come back, or do you only work on 80's & such. It isn't my only driver (in fact I am still working on getting it registered), so there is no time crunch.
The truck was already pretty low on coolant, as the last time I drove it (before the cold weather), the top radiator hose came off somehow & it poured a lot of coolant out of it then before I noticed. I actually had figured that between being really low on coolant (room to expand if it did freeze) and also being a mix of coolant/water that it woudl be safe. But apparently that was a stupid assumption.

I will see what extra coolant I can get out of the truck today. Should I just throw a tarp over the top of the engine, or beneath, or what?

You know now that i think about it, I was really stupid on this one, as I even had the truck parked facing directly into the weather/wind. Even just parking the truck in the other direction might have helped... Oh well.

Thanks again for the advice.
Best,
Abe
Old 01-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hi everyone,
I pulled the lower radiator hose & got a ton of fluid out of both the radiator & the block. It was really, "coolant colored". then I pulled the drain plug out of the block & got very little fluid. So I put cardboard around it & started up a heater with a blower & let it sit for a while. Some fluid has come out, but not a ton, & it is really warm under the hood now. So I am hoping that it had minimal fluid in it & I just screwed myself by not worrying about all parts of the engine. The heater is stilll running so I am hoping to get more fluid (or not, whichever is better), but who knows. Anyone have any other ideas?

thanks,

Abe
Old 01-04-2009, 09:27 PM

Hugh at safari has a few diesel troopies always in the lot...