Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default R&p

Well, I did it. I need to gear the DD to 4.88s and already have a front IFS diff laying in a bin in my garage. Tired of slipping the clutch and finding 5th superfluous.

So shopping Randy's R&P, I saw they had a decent price on gears. Oops, those aren't recommended for 'quiet' trucks... . Ah, there are the quality ones, they are.... HOLY $MOKE$.

Marlin is better pricing. About ready to drop the hammer, and out of curiosity I visited Trail-Gear. I am not fond of the shenanigans Chris has pulled in the past (IMHO, YMMV, etc) but that was then. Geez... $100 less. That is starting to matter. A lot.

I was quite suspicious of the quality, but Google revealed no bad experiences, only good ones. Huh.

So I pulled the trigger. I guess I will walk the skinny plank/long branch/insert metaphor for lonely risk here.

"Hold my beer and watch this."
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Rising Sun member

did you have 5.29 in there before? Or?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Stock 4.11s pulling 33s with a rebuilt 22RE.

Just for clarity, TG was not $100 less than Marlin, nearly $100 less than Randy's.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yep, that's me, honorless.

From what I read, TG has been behaving rather well lately and doing a good job. so...
KDRCH
Bio Page
Old 01-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm still rocking the 3.73's with the 35's in my truck which I DD. Sucks more for the wheeling than the daily driving actually.

that's no fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Bill, Trail Gear? Disappointed. Have you no dignity, no honor? For all that talk of supporting the guys who got our six. :-)

No, he still had 4.10 stock gears with 33" tires = yikes!

BTW, yes, I'm on Marlin's Christmas card list...
82 FJ40
Old 01-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Well, I did it. I need to gear the DD to 4.88s and already have a front IFS diff laying in a bin in my garage. Tired of slipping the clutch and finding 5th superfluous.

So shopping Randy's R&P, I saw they had a decent price on gears. Oops, those aren't recommended for 'quiet' trucks... . Ah, there are the quality ones, they are.... HOLY $MOKE$.

Marlin is better pricing. About ready to drop the hammer, and out of curiosity I visited Trail-Gear. I am not fond of the shenanigans Chris has pulled in the past (IMHO, YMMV, etc) but that was then. Geez... $100 less. That is starting to matter. A lot.

I was quite suspicious of the quality, but Google revealed no bad experiences, only good ones. Huh.

So I pulled the trigger. I guess I will walk the skinny plank/long branch/insert metaphor for lonely risk here.

"Hold my beer and watch this."

Truly despicable! I have hung my head in shame for several months after patronizing TrailMarts 6 stud knuckles and forged arms. At least I can justify in a way that neither Marlin or Bundrant sell the 6 shooters and Gieger is the only source. I believe Chris "the Reaper" sells Nitro gears as his bargain basement line which seem to be working out. BTW Your local vendor Mr. Slee also sells Nitro gears, JFYI.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Chalk this up to mini truck uniqueness, 4.10 gears + 33" tires + 22R-E = frustration on a daily basis. Your 5th gear is along for the ride unless you are coasting down Floyd Hill and clutches must be considered annual maintenance items. OTOH, 4.10 gears are preferred for harder trail work with dual cases or even a single 4.70 case, the deeper gear sets tend to fail sooner and with drive train reduction you don't need low gears in the axles. But for a 22R truck driven on a daily basis, matching gearing to tires is a little more than luxury.

true, I was poking fun more than anything
82 FJ40
Old 01-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
OTOH, 4.10 gears are preferred for harder trail work with dual cases or even a single 4.70 case, the deeper gear sets tend to fail sooner ...
So goes conventional wisdom. But...

Zuk disagrees (though it does make intuitive sense that less tooth surface engaged = weaker). Zuk swears proper setup, especially carrier bearing preload, makes 5.71s stone reliable:
http://www.gearinstalls.com/410suck.htm

He has done a ton of setups for radical vehicles.

Carrier Bearing Preload a la Zuk
I do know there was a rash of Toyota factory elockers that blew up ring gears for no obvious reason, and it makes sense that carrier bearing preload may have allowed overmuch flex when locked. Dunno. Not yet been brave enough to do 100 ft./lbs of tightening. Mebbe I will this go round.
KDRCH
Bio Page
Old 01-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Truly despicable! I have hung my head in shame for several months after patronizing TrailMarts 6 stud knuckles and forged arms. At least I can justify in a way that neither Marlin or Bundrant sell the 6 shooters and Gieger is the only source. I believe Chris "the Reaper" sells Nitro gears as his bargain basement line which seem to be working out.
First I've heard of Nitro being TG's TCs, somebody said they were Yukons (made in the same factory as Yukons... which doesn't quite make sense since Yukons are repackaged USGear, Precision, etc.). Where didja hear this?
Quote:
BTW Your local vendor Mr. Slee also sells Nitro gears, JFYI.
Oops.

Quote:
...6 shooters and Gieger is the only source.
Give Sky Mfg. about three months and see if that is still true... That would be ironic...
KDRCH
Bio Page
Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
First I've heard of Nitro being TG's TCs, somebody said they were Yukons (made in the same factory as Yukons... which doesn't quite make sense since Yukons are repackaged USGear, Precision, etc.). Where didja hear this?

It appears I must have fallen into a rumor mill as I have scoured and cannot find anything to back up my claim. Must be another reversed engineered knock off that TrailMart is famous for I'm guessing. Then again it possibly could be the same manufacturer that Randy's (Yukon) and Reider (Precision) use....I haven't a clue.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior