Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

They said it is made in the same facility as Yukon (but would not admit that it is the *same* as Yukon) so that seems likely. No copyrights are honored in China... something for BMW to think about, they are having engine manufactured there. Noticed the similarity between Chinese small engines and Honda small engines? But then, what is there in a ring gear to copyright? I dare say there is a range of dimensions that work and if outside those, it doesn't. The manufacturing is just best practices, hardly copyrightable.

Didn't know Precision and Yukon (do they even HAVE a Yukon-branded, rather than Yukon-reboxed, R&P?) were made in the same facility but that makes sense. I had heard the upper line Yukons were Precision, which was a vote of confidence. Perhaps that is what is meant by TrailCrawlers are Yukons - same mfg. facility if not the same brand.

But of course this is mere deduction without a lot of hard evidence. In any event, I will post up with my experiences as I set them up. If I can get my jig back from Squishy.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Good point, I suppose you have to look at the overall situation and who's behind the keyboard generating those rumors. The conventional wisdom didn't stop me from doing 5.27 gears, in 4 cylinder housings even. But my desire isn't to wail on my truck. Really, it isn't. Plus Robbie set up the diffs...
Scoffing at conventional wisdom as is my habit, it didn't prevent me from doing 5.29s behind a 3.4 either, and my desire IS to wail on my truck if necessary. No issues (did I just jinx myself?). For that matter, the factory elockers that grenaded were of the more robust ratios, so there you have it.

Most of the guys with issues, from my impression, seem to run 40s+ in a wild and wooly style after having set up their own gears with the utmost in precision I am sure. Same guys that blew up Bobby Long's birfs just for fun because he guaranteed them.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

I am running Yukon front (Precision) and rear (US Gear) 5.29s. I would have to say that 5.29 is the most popular for minis, not less popular. It's the shiz for 35s+, though now I wish i had 4.88s with the 3.4 and R151, despite towing advantages, but that is another story. I can start in 2nd if desired, and not towing). No issues either, and when I transferred the rear from my '90 4Runner to the Chili, and Mike Caskey redid the backlash (High Country had set it up to Jeep specs apparently, ) the wear pattern was excellent.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 01-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Every company has a house brand. Reider Racing is out of business, their house brand was Precision. Some sets are still available. Yukon is a house brand from Randy's. Nitro gear is the house brand sourced and distributed by http://www.justdifferentials.com/ - Carl is one of the main guys and also a Toyota guy. They are probably the most knowledgeable on Toyota gears and install kits currently. They are also the people that do specific gears like FJ fronts etc.

In the end there are only that many manufacturers that distributors and "gear houses" source from. They do private labeling to get an edge over the competition. All of them seem to sell a "Value" brand that is probably parts that are not 100% up to QC inspections, then they sell the "Premium" brands that are better (probably only passed QC with better specs). We have had good luck and bad with all of them. At some point Precision was the best for us, but we also had some issues. For some ratio's like 5.29's there are not much choices.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
. BTW Your local vendor Mr. Slee also sells Nitro gears, JFYI.
I never would've known either...they're not on his website.
ige tlca #1431
Old 01-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

Well, we sell more stuff than what is on the site, but I am working on adding gears. The issues are when you get to install kits.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeoffroad View Post
Well, we sell more stuff than what is on the site, but I am working on adding gears. The issues are when you get to install kits.
you got pm...that's P M, not pms, not something else
ige tlca #1431
Old 01-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Good point, I suppose you have to look at the overall situation and who's behind the keyboard generating those rumors. The conventional wisdom didn't stop me from doing 5.27 gears, in 4 cylinder housings even. But my desire isn't to wail on my truck. Really, it isn't. Plus Robbie set up the diffs...
Dave: I bought 4.88's and an ARB for my 07 Cruiser. I am not sure I want to tackle the installation myself and am thinking it may be wise to have someone with more experiance do the setup for me... How could I contact Robbie to see if he is willing to help me with this project?? Thanks for the help!!

Brian

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 01-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks Dave!! I'll give him a shout..

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 01-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

Well, I got the R&P last night, that was faster than Cabela's!
They certainly did not waste resources on packaging...
BUT... it was not damaged in any way so who cares. Now to find my jig...
KDØRCH
Bio Page