Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default Need an F engine tuning Guru

OK, so I finally got the 40 running following the rebuild. Thats a pretty big deal (at least for me) when you realize this thing hasn't ran under it's own power since Sept and many, many modifications ago. Before Sept it could barely move itself from the driveway into the garage after being hauled in on a trailer.

Anyways, it still seemed to be a little down on power during the first few test drives. After the 2nd drive I reset the valves to spec warm and increased the static timing from 7 deg BTDC (white BB right on the pointer) with a timing light, to where the white BB is just visible at the bottom of the window which is about 1" below the pointer. I have no idea what that equates to in actual degrees. Test driving it now it seems to be much better and is capable (barely) of maintaining speed on flat ground in 4th gear around town but still requires a pretty good run to get up some of the modest hills on the highway around here.

I don't expect this old F engine to run like a SBC especially when I am running 35's on it with stock 4.11 gears. But, this is my first Toyota straight 6 so I have no experience to reference it to. It also sounds to me like I still have a few valves clacking pretty loud (at least I hope thats all it is) in spite of my adjusting efforts.

I would REALLY appreciate it if one of you experienced tuning guys could take a look at this with me. Come to my place or I can bring it to yours (what a strange feeling to be able to say that now). I would like us to play with the timing some more, maybe tweak the carb and take one more stab at getting the last few noisy valves quited down. Also take a listen to see if there are any noises that shouldnt be there...........
Thanks-Randy 303-319-8976 PS I'll be at the meeting tonight but not with the 40. I dont have the confidence in it yet to drive it that far especially at night.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrucker View Post
OK, so I finally got the 40 running following the rebuild. Thats a pretty big deal (at least for me) when you realize this thing hasn't ran under it's own power since Sept and many, many modifications ago. Before Sept it could barely move itself from the driveway into the garage after being hauled in on a trailer.

Anyways, it still seemed to be a little down on power during the first few test drives. After the 2nd drive I reset the valves to spec warm and increased the static timing from 7 deg BTDC (white BB right on the pointer) with a timing light, to where the white BB is just visible at the bottom of the window which is about 1" below the pointer. I have no idea what that equates to in actual degrees. Test driving it now it seems to be much better and is capable (barely) of maintaining speed on flat ground in 4th gear around town but still requires a pretty good run to get up some of the modest hills on the highway around here.

I don't expect this old F engine to run like a SBC especially when I am running 35's on it with stock 4.11 gears. But, this is my first Toyota straight 6 so I have no experience to reference it to. It also sounds to me like I still have a few valves clacking pretty loud (at least I hope thats all it is) in spite of my adjusting efforts.

I would REALLY appreciate it if one of you experienced tuning guys could take a look at this with me. Come to my place or I can bring it to yours (what a strange feeling to be able to say that now). I would like us to play with the timing some more, maybe tweak the carb and take one more stab at getting the last few noisy valves quited down. Also take a listen to see if there are any noises that shouldnt be there...........
Thanks-Randy 303-319-8976 PS I'll be at the meeting tonight but not with the 40. I dont have the confidence in it yet to drive it that far especially at night.
Bottom of the window is about 2 more for a total of about 9. What distributor are you using? How are (any) vacuum lines plumbed?
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 01-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I have a DUI HEI distributor. JimC put a vacuum port on the base of the carb on the valve cover side and the vacuum line runs straight to the distributor. The vacuum port on the outboard side of the carb, where the vacuum advance line used to run to, now has a line that goes up to a pot on the linkage. I put it on straight out of the box as JimC sent it to me.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang