Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 01-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Miller View Post
Go to Busted: The citizen's guide to surviving police encounters. and watch the video. This information is all about protecting our 4th Amendment rights. It's useful information, regardless of which state you're in.

The respectful and non threatening video appears to be professionally produced, something that should be shown in a high school civics class.
Bruce,

This was good. A nice review!
Old 01-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Miller View Post
I wonder if the LEO came across someone from one of the NGO's, say, The Nature Conservancy or The Sierra Club, if their attitude would be different that it would be with a 4 wheeler, quad, bicyclist, or motorcycle. I think the rules of the game are different, depending on the players.
Every time I have met an officer in Utah they have been great. On the most recent Outlaws Run we met a Ranger in the Dollhouse area. She was very nice and appropriately said "slow down" when the sound of one guy's V8 as he rounded a corner amplified the appearance of speed (a very nice and responsible member of our group who just picked the worst possible time to go a bit fast on a sandy road). Later on the trip she gave a guided tour of the Grand Gallery.

A few years back we met an Emery County Deputy who was not only super nice, but completely advocating that roads stay open. As you know, some of the locals out there don't want the federal government telling them what to do.

The members of this club are much more conscientious and responsible campers than most other people I know and I think the officers we meet on the trail can sense that.

PS. I'm not licensed to practice in Utah so y'all are on your own out there!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Bruce, why do you think that would be the case? I would guess that more LEOs are of the pro land use mindset rather than being of the treehugging school, wouldn't you?
I will chime in. I would say this would not be the case, for a simple reason: they see all the abuses, but few of the responsible recreationists doing things the right way. That's what they get called out to correct.

About the 18th time I saw someone tear across virgin crypto on their ATV past signs clearly marking the trail, I might adopt the same mindset.

Keep in mind that the LEO encounters at the top of this thread were guys who went after OHVers who were doing nothing wrong at all - sitting in camp for pitie's sake. That is the line they shouldn't cross.

This thread is by no means opposing BLM enforcement actions and LEOs in general. Without them we would lose it all. But forewarned is prepared.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
PS. I'm not licensed to practice in Utah so y'all are on your own out there!
now you tell me. Last night I watched that "busted" video too, and was all ready to exercise my 6th amendment rights while out in Utah...

man wish I would have seen that video 15 years ago...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Trail Ready

Default 6th Amendment?

What are you planning on doing in Moab?

I think the 6th Amendment has to do with: In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial... before am impartial jury in the state where the crime shall have been committed...

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is SOLD!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Rising Sun Commander

True but the 6th amendment also protects my right to counsel. :...and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense."

I don't like to run Wipeout Hill without my lawyer present, he knows where all the secret tunnels are, plus he's good at flipping the burgers.

www.gamiviti.com