Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Almost as luck as Dean Baranski...

Those of you that are familiar with the story of how Dean found his FJ40 have got to agree cruiser karma was definitely smiling upon him that day. I had a similar experience today and thought I would share the story.

Some backdrop for context is in order. With my 40 getting around and doing ok, my thoughts recently turned to getting things even better, which include replacing all the gaskets and seals for the oil pan, side cover, transmission, transfer case, and rear main. You know, the typical things a 40 owner does between major break downs. As I do these I'd like to upgrade to the FJ60 distributor and 4 speed transmission. I had even added thoughts of upgrading to a 2F engine. With the status of my first parts source (Stan's 1980 FJ40) a bit up in the air while Timmbuck2 is looking to get the best deal for Stan, I started to lean towards getting a 4 speed from one of the two FJ40s at Colorado Auto Salvage. Both of them appear to be in serviceable shape.

So I went there this morning to start pulling drive shafts, speedometer cables, fly wheel cover, gear shift lever and the transmission bolts for the blue 1976. I was then going to hope that everything stayed there until next Saturday when I could get TheBoomBoom to give me a hand dropping the transmission and x-fer. I was done with the drive shafts and getting started on the rest of the stuff when 4 guys walk up and start eying the FJ40.

We strike up a conversation and it turns out they are looking for a 2F for a 60 series. The two older of the bunch are brothers and the two younger are son-in-law. Both brothers are now in public safety but for years ran their own auto shop. I told them about the other 2F in the yard and answered their questions about the early 1F that was just up the row. They turned the engine by hand, inspected it over and then left to look over the other 2F. In a little bit they came back and asked if they could take the engine from the truck I was working on. Being that my interest was in the drive end of things, and realizing that if they really wanted it all they had to do was kill me and dump the body in the Platte river - I said "have at it".

I checked my watch and the time was 11:10. By the bottom of the hour they had found one of the big a-frame hoists and put it into position. While it was really evident they new their stuff, it was neat to be able to answer their questions about engine mounts, cables, hoses and other things that might get in the way of the pull. These guys went to work like surgeons and in no time at all the engine, transmission and x-fer case on the ground in front of the cruiser.

As the yard closed at 1:00, we did run out of time to pull the bell housing, but they helped me get the transmission separated and loaded into my 40. They'll get the bell housing separated and give me a call to swing buy and pick it (and the clutch) up in the next few days.

While some of you have probably pulled a 4 speed by yourself, I'm not that tough and feel real fortunate to have met these guys and the events worked out well for everyone. I guess it just goes to show that some of life's luckiest things will happen when you are doing something else.
TLCA #18941
Old 01-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nice Ricardo
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 01-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Way cool.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Good deal Ricardo. If you would have left before they came you probably would have returned with Rick to find no tranny and t-case. This sounds like serendipity in deed.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

That is cool. glad you were able to salvage some parts from that old 40 and get some help.

I'm curious why those guys would need to resort to pulling an engine from a 40 since they were looking for a 60 engine, seems like good 60's are a dime-a-dozen on CL right now. And a 60 would have all the extra emissions stuff.

This thread answered my questions about the driveshafts you pm'd about. Thanks!

Old 01-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
I'm curious why those guys would need to resort to pulling an engine from a 40 since they were looking for a 60 engine, seems like good 60's are a dime-a-dozen on CL right now. And a 60 would have all the extra emissions stuff.
Good point, and I don't know the answer. Their trip to the salvage yard was a spur of the moment, let's go see what there is there kind of thing.
TLCA #18941