Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default Today is a lucky day-Check this out!

So, I'm out setting the vales again for the 3rd time and tweaking the timing to get the 40 dialed in. Periodically I go out and drive around the block to keep the motor warmed up, check to see how it's running, etc. As I'm going around the block I notice the neighbor lady who lives behind me sort of giving me the eye as I go past in the 40. I thought she was just curious because the 40 is a new vehicle in the neighborhoo.

So I get done for the day and come in to check the site. I'm reading Ricardo's story about getting help at the junkyard when there is a knock on my front door. Its the neighbor lady. She says "I saw you driving around in that old Land Cruiser you fixed, do you want another one?" Turns out she has a 1978 FJ55, totally stock that she gave to me for free. I went and looked at it, it appears to be complete, front disk brakes, etc. Lower sections of the body are rusted, doors don't look too bad. Headliners is hanging in tatters. She claims it was running when they parked it 8 years ago. Apparently it belonged to her son and he died (unknown circumstances).

So, anyone want to come down and see if we can get this puppy running tomorrow? She said she doesn't have a title for it so it may just be a parts queen.
Attached Images

Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Rising Sun Commander

wow. What a fun score!!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

That is too cool, Nakman had to buy a house to get his free Scout. Perhaps I should head your way tomorrow, give you a hand. You could take my 40 for a spin to see what an old, tired 40 runs like.
TLCA #18941
Old 01-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

You sir, have straight up Cruiser luck!

It was cool to meet you at teh meeting and hear about your adventures!

You should get her running, Pigs are extra special, and '78's are special Pigs!!!

If you do part it, I would ask for the hubs. But get her running and fix her/keep her...

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

applying for a lost title is not that hard. Just a little extra work.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Way to go, Randy! I figured you'd get it.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
You sir, have straight up Cruiser luck!

It was cool to meet you at teh meeting and hear about your adventures!

You should get her running, Pigs are extra special, and '78's are special Pigs!!!

If you do part it, I would ask for the hubs. But get her running and fix her/keep her...
Are those fine or coarse spline you need? I have a set of Warn coarse spline hubs that look like new you can have.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

awesome, keep her on the road if you can. She can get a duplicate title easily.
TLCA#4180
Old 01-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

Nice find Randy, I need to go out there again and see if somebody wants to get rid of anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Ricardo came over today and helped me drag it home. Turns out the PO not only didnt have a title for it but no keys either. But, where there is a will there is a way.

We took the battery out of the 40 and stuck it in the pig. I added 1/2 gallon of AF to the radiator and we checked the oil (dirty but full). I resurrected some of my skills honed as a hoodlum growing up on the streets of Chicago and hot wired the ignition. We gave it a spritz of starting fuild and amazingly it fired right up after sitting for 10 years!

I dumped 5 gallons of gas in her, we shot it with ether again and after keeping it running for 60 seconds or so with the ether it caught on the gas and ran on its own. It sounds great! Runs really smooth, no blue smoke, valves sound like they're adjusted right and almost everything in the cab (lights, blinkers, fan motors, heater, wipers) works except the radio.

We actually drove it around the neighborhood. The power brakes work great, tranny & tc feels real tight, and the manual steering doesn't seem to have any slop in it.

I did kill the engine once by closing the manual choke all the way after it was warmed up. When I cranked it again I noticed CLOUDS of white smoke coming out of the tailpipe as long as I cranked it with the choke closed. Once I opened the choke again and cranked it, it started right up and the smoke immediately cleared. I'm thinking I've got a bad head gasket that has rusted through from sitting for 10 years and it sucks in coolant under the right conditions.

Other than that, a headliner thats in tatters and a fair amount of body rust, this thing may be driveable. Oh yeah, Ricardo was all gaga over the fact it has the original yellow factory jack kit, handles and the engine crank with it. Is that important to have?