Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Rising Sun member

pb blaster is well known for its penetrating qualities, and my guess is you may be able to get by with a propane torch. It's worth a try if that's what you already have. I was able to use just a propane torch to heat up my ring gear enough to slide it onto my differential carrier, so that might be enough to get the bearings off.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Swing-Away finally fixed!!!

OK...just an update to my original thread.

I was able to get the bearings off the spindle by hitting the spindle with this FREEZE SPRAY from loctite.

Then, the end of the spindle was "mushroomed" so badly that the threads were actually narrowed and the nut wouldn't even come close to going back on. So, I borrowed a thread file from work, ground the mushroomed section down a little to reduce the diameter, then went to work on the threads. After about an hour of filing, the nut could barely be forced on with lubricating oil. So, I arranged to get a die to try to re-thread the spindle, but when I tried the nut the next day it went on with ease!!! All of the filing, grinding, and friction from forcing the nut on the spindle, heated both the spindle and nut so much that they both expanded, preventing the nut from going on. I was relieved that I wouldn't have to try to re-thread the spindle!

So, it's back together and swinging so much easier than when I bought the truck. I'm glad it's fixed.

I will probably try to add a grease zerk whenever I eventually have to take the bumper off for another reason. Until then, I'll just monitor performance and re-grease as necessary.

Thanks again for the help and advice from club members.

Paul
Attached Images

"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 01-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Great job! Nice when everything actually works out the way you planned... wait, I have never had that happen before, how does it feel??

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili