Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default TC Seal still leaking!

Last night i dropped the rear drive shaft out, dis-asembled the parking brake and removed the tc output flange. The surface on it looks like new (probably because it has less than 50 miles driving on it). I went ahead and put a new seal in the speedo housing and put a bunch of black silicon gasket maker into the flange to seal the splines before I put it back on. I didn't notice any in/out or sideways play in the shaft to indicate a bearing or preload issue. I put it all back together, drove it around the block (waited 2 hours to let the silicone set up) and pulled back in the garage.

In the space of 60 seconds there was a puddle of 90w the size of a half dollar on the floor with no sign of stopping

Besides going to a 2 seal mudrack type speedo housing, any other ideas what I should or shouldnt be doing?

Anyone know where in Denver I can go to get a carbide end mill bit like this? According to MUD if you get a bit like this, chuck it in a drill press, you can safely modify your speedo housing yourself and install 2 stock seals.
Attached Images

Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

can you tell if it's leaking from the splines or the seal?
TLCA#4180
Old 01-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

It has to be something simple. They work great stock with a million miles on them. Mic a drum brake and them mic the disc brake thing you have. Is there a difference? The link below is one of the best tools I own.

http://www.toolzone.com/cgi-bin/sh00...WTD_2dTHA65038
Attached Images

pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 01-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

It definitely leaking around the seal. When the flange slides onto the splines of the output shaft it is a very snug fit and I had black silicon oozing out the end before I put the washer and nut back on. Since I let that setup for 2 hours it would have had to push that whole mess out under great pressure to leak the way it did after 1 trip around the block.

I dont have a drum brake shaft to mic but I will measure the disc brake shaft and maybe someone else has a drum brake unit we can compare it to.

I think I'm still going to go the 2 seal route though if I have to tear it all down again anyways.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Mike-FYI I drove all the way up to Toolzone only to have them tell me they don't sell those items from the store, interney only

But I managed to find one somewhere else and modified the speedo housing and put 2 new seals in (NAPA 17736 if anyone needs that info). I got it put back together yesterday and managed to do a 20 mile test drive.

So far so good, no drips, but we'll see once I get a lot more miles on it.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrucker View Post
Mike-FYI I drove all the way up to Toolzone only to have them tell me they don't sell those items from the store, interney only

But I managed to find one somewhere else and modified the speedo housing and put 2 new seals in (NAPA 17736 if anyone needs that info). I got it put back together yesterday and managed to do a 20 mile test drive.

So far so good, no drips, but we'll see once I get a lot more miles on it.
They are in a wood case to the left of the cash register? I don't think they know what they sell. This is not the first time I have had issues with that store.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133