Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 01-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Word of warning for 09 CM

Apparently there are a couple of BLM LEOs on a mission from God. I know the motorcycle rider posting in this post, and he is far from a scofflaw. I believe his words.

Despite the fact he is a practicing lawyer in the real world.

Ooops! Inukshuk, I mean no disrespect!!

Something to make participants aware of, to avert any issues. Until recently, the "Cloud9" he speaks of also worked for the BLM.

AdventureRider post on Moab BLM LEO harrassment
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Apparently there are a couple of BLM LEOs on a mission from God. I know the motorcycle rider posting in this post, and he is far from a scofflaw. I believe his words.

Something to make participants aware of, to avert any issues. Until recently, the "Cloud9" he speaks of also worked for the BLM.

AdventureRider post on Moab BLM LEO harrassment
Sounds bizarre. We'll talk to the BLM in advance about this to make certain everything is still the same.

What is an LEO? I am abbreviation illiterate.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Sounds bizarre. We'll talk to the BLM in advance about this to make certain everything is still the same.

What is an LEO? I am abbreviation illiterate.
Law Enforcement Officer

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 01-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Interesting...

Maybe they are targeting bikes. They do have the ability to travel off trail alot easier.
TLCA#4180
Old 01-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Could be a volume issue, with the population explosion in this part of the country. Maybe they've decided they need to step of enforcement because of the sheer number of vehicles that travel to Moab. Or could be an isolated incident with a BLM officer having a bad day....
Old 01-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Both Unaweep and Cloud9 had similar experiences, so it wasn't just a bad day and they were treated so rudely as to make me think it wasn't just because of the number of the vehicles. The guy was sitting in camp for pities sake, and he gets threatened with confiscation when he hasn't done anything?

Like I say... mission from God...
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Both Unaweep and Cloud9 had similar experiences, so it wasn't just a bad day and they were treated so rudely as to make me think it wasn't just because of the number of the vehicles. The guy was sitting in camp for pities sake, and he gets threatened with confiscation when he hasn't done anything?
That's complete crap. These BLM guys are our employees as U.S. citizens. Unless the person was doing something that looked suspicious, they should have been treated with respect. I wonder if the BLM person thought they could "get away" with it because it was only one person. I'd like to see them harass me when I've got a big group of burly 4x4 dudes standing with me.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

That was pretty much the reaction from the motorcycle crowd. I sure hope the BLM doesn't create the very oppositional noncompliance that they are trying to curb.

In any event, if I am treated thus, I will be compliant - but I will also ask for the LEO's badge number, his supervisor's name, HIS supervisor's name, and if possible to speak to them on the radio. And I will take notes. And pictures if necessary. We'll see if that tones it down or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I'd like to see them harass me when I've got a big group of burly 4x4 dudes standing with me.
It would take a lot of burly to overcome a 1911 .45ACP.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 01-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Trail Ready

Default LEO's

I would hate to see you guys, or anybody at CM09, get into trouble with a federal agent. A couple of burly dudes, or a 45, don’t help, either. Remember, too, when you appear in court, the only thing that counts is what the LEO says. And, the judge will always side with the LEO. After you put the kids to bed tonight, fire up the computer, get on YouTube and go to “Busted: The citizen’s guide to surviving a police encounter.” It’s 45 minutes long, but it could be difference between protecting your 4th Amendment rights as opposed to wishing you hadn’t given up those rights.

And speaking of CM09 in Moab, UT, keep in mind that LEO’s in Utah, Texas, and Arizona, in an effort to reduce costs in DUI cases, have done away with the breathalyzer. Officers are now permitted to draw blood to prove drivers are drunk.

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is currently for sale
Old 01-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

FWIW, the 1911 .45ACP I referenced would be the LEO's, not the burly dudes'...
KDØRCH
Bio Page