Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default HAM in truck recomendations for the newbe

I looked a little but the 8800 is a little more than what i can spend at the moment. Nor do I know what features I need? Can someone steer me toward the budget minded set up? Or recomend a site that will take my money and ship me what I need. What am I looking for? What should I stay away from. I guess I'm hopeing to swap to a single DIN stereo and install a HAM in what would have been the remaining hole? What's it really going to cost for a HAM setup? Anyone in the club ready to upgrade? My dash is almost identical to an 80.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Here's what Wes said in another post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
What's a basic HAM setup cost and will anyone want to sell me one cheap basic set up in vechile can be had for ~$150 (yaesu 1802 and antenna, dual bands will run you more but that is a nice basic set up to run 2m.
I'm going to go with the yaesu 1802. Cheap, tough and effective for trail runs in my 40 which is really the only time/place I'll be using it.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Rising Sun Commander

x2 on that, the 1802 or 2800 are both solid, then a decent antenna and a clean power setup. As a club we're pretty bias towards the Yaesu rigs, benefit of which is someone on a run will tell you what button to push if you mess something up by mistake (and we've all btdt).

FWIW, Ige is my current ham hero in the club, she's got one of the most budget rigs of anyone yet has hands down the best performance of any one of our's truck in 2 meters (that's mobile antenna, mind you, the on the camper stuff doesn't count). Pretty sure she's running the 2800, and has a good antenna with good ground plane, the swr must be right as well. But it's simple, it works, and I have consistently heard her signal clearer and over greater distances than anyone else in the club.. that's the setup I'd copy.

Where are we at on the mic holder anyway?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'll snap some photos of it tomorow and get them to you. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

the 2800 can put out 65w vs 50 with the 1802,so it's a little more powerful. I think our range was pretty similar when we were talking to Bruce while he was in camp on the GTR. We were on the other side of hill on waunita pass.
TLCA#4180
Old 01-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have the 2800 in the FJ40 and Bronco. The antenna in the FJ40 is from the antenna building party and works just fine. The radio was $112 new and the antenna building materials were maybe $10, certainly no more than $15.

My experience with the 2800 has been very good. It bounces around in the 40, gets dusty and has enough volume to be heard over the 40 noise. I picked it over the 1802 because of the additional 15 watts.

I have not put a radio in the LX470 yet. I'd like to go with a detachable unit (7800 or 8800) primarily because the truck is still mall rated.
TLCA #18941
Old 01-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

I went through this process recently. I would have been perfectly happy with the (Yaesu) 2800, but ultimately I was sold on the 7800 because of the ability to remote mount the radio, and just have a faceplate and mic up front. I hate cluttering up the front dash and console, so having just a small faceplate (which I mounted in the overhead console) makes it nice and clean.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

i'm running a 2800 that i picked up at hro for $109 and what's considered a less desireable mount right now, the hood clip on nmo mount (but it appears to work well with my radio ). the antenna and base were picked up online, but i can't tell you where. i tried looking for their catalog that they sent, but can't find it and the website is saved on the harddrive from my crashed computer. after root gets over here to transfer my harddrive info, i'll check on that for ya.
ige tlca #1431
Old 01-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
I looked a little but the 8800 is a little more than what i can spend at the moment. Nor do I know what features I need? Can someone steer me toward the budget minded set up? Or recomend a site that will take my money and ship me what I need. What am I looking for? What should I stay away from. I guess I'm hopeing to swap to a single DIN stereo and install a HAM in what would have been the remaining hole? What's it really going to cost for a HAM setup? Anyone in the club ready to upgrade? My dash is almost identical to an 80.
I am going to start working on making a replacement sheet metal part for the factory radio mounting sheet metal that will also have tabs included to mount the FT-2800 in the opening below a single din radio. I know that everyone throws up the red flag that there might be too much heat for this setup, but there is a factory fan above the radios (at least in the 80's) that in my case still functions. Plus, not one of us will run the radio long enough to worry. It may not look pretty at first, but plans are to make it mall-rated pretty before getting them to others. If you get the FT-2800 and it will work for your 100, this might be an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
I have the 2800 in the FJ40 and Bronco. The antenna in the FJ40 is from the antenna building party and works just fine. The radio was $112 new and the antenna building materials were maybe $10, certainly no more than $15.

My experience with the 2800 has been very good. It bounces around in the 40, gets dusty and has enough volume to be heard over the 40 noise. I picked it over the 1802 because of the additional 15 watts.
I also have leftover assemblies for the homebrew 2M antenna. You have to put it together yourself (but that's part of the fun) and it works great. I also have a stainless steel mount that attaches on the inside of the engine compartment and sticks out the hood. I'll post a picture if you want.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Just a question, do you guys remember about the 50W vs 65W thing? The difference in real range? This is a legitimate tech question that will come up.

Range increases as the square root of the power increase. Doubling your power increases effective range by SQRT of 2, or 1.414 times the range. So the jump from 5W to 50W is SQRT of 10, roughly 3.2 times the range. The increase from 50 to 65 watts is 1.3 times the power, so SQRT of 1.3 is 1.14 times the range. The difference is negligible and far outweighed by the antenna selection and tuning than anything.

The point is that it's not linear and mostly a sales number and don't put much weight on it as a selection criteria. In the ~50W class of mobile, get the radio that primarily fits in your truck, price, etc. and don't worry about the transmitter power too much. At least keep as a secondary part of the choice.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler