Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default 98 4Runner t-case

so I picked up a clean 98 4Runner...pretty pumped, I've got a good camping rig for the summer that isn't tied to my trailer

I've got a noise from the rear, kind of a light thunking. I thought it was the driveshaft, pulled it and the noise went away, but I also drained and re-filled the rear end to eliminate that too. Rear end fluid was fine, ds checked out fine too. My next thought is drain the t-case and see whats in there. So the question:
Its an automatic, 3.4 engine. Is the t-case lubricated by the transmission fluid? Or is it just plain ole 90 weight?

I suppose I need a haynes manual
Old 02-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I'm almost positive it's gear oil, but I would start searching Yodertech, here's one to get you started http://www.yotatech.com/f2/99-00-tra...96-98-a-77426/

congrats on the new ride! pics, man.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
so I picked up a clean 98 4Runner...pretty pumped, I've got a good camping rig for the summer that isn't tied to my trailer

I've got a noise from the rear, kind of a light thunking. I thought it was the driveshaft, pulled it and the noise went away, but I also drained and re-filled the rear end to eliminate that too. Rear end fluid was fine, ds checked out fine too. My next thought is drain the t-case and see whats in there. So the question:
Its an automatic, 3.4 engine. Is the t-case lubricated by the transmission fluid? Or is it just plain ole 90 weight?

I suppose I need a haynes manual
I just happen to have a spare lefty case (99) if ya need one.. Don't ask why and I won't have to Lie! trans should be an A340E But if it's a A340F the t-case is pressure lubed from the tranny. Haynes is for J**p guys....get serious and get a FSM!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-06-2009, 04:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I just happen to have a spare lefty case (99) if ya need one.. Don't ask why and I won't have to Lie! trans should be an A340E But if it's a A340F the t-case is pressure lubed from the tranny. Haynes is for J**p guys....get serious and get a FSM!
Wouldn't it be a A340E if it's 2WD and A340F if it's 4WD? That's the way I'd always heard and it's that way in our 4Runner, A750F for 4WD and A750E for 2WD trucks.

Anyway, the transfer case on both is 75W90 GL-5 according to the 2000 Tacoma owner's manual and the technician's quick reference. That's what ours takes still, too. The t-case in our '05 is the multi-mode VF4AM with the torsion center diff, takes a quart and half of 75W90 gear lube and it's behind the A750F. What is different is that the A750 does not take Dexron-III like the A340 did, it uses some special T-IV ATF.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2000/Owne...ifications.pdf
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2000/Tech...id%20Specs.pdf

I've mentioned it before, TTORA and their online FSM, yeah!

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 02-06-2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

looks like I have more searching to do, man this thing is way more complicated than my truck I searched yotatech last night, thanks nakman but didn't really fine much. Not too much in the way of tech there...but i did find a thread about a guy who thought his transmission was bad, only to find out he had it in nuetral

oh and I think pics would be boring...its pretty plain jane, just a white runner I am going to put a set of sliders on it and thats all the mods for me
Old 02-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

The owners manual should tell you what fluid to use.

Also, given the shockingly wimpy ball bearings in the rear axle, be sure you jack up the rear of the truck and lift up on each rear wheel to check for play in the rear wheel bearings. My left rear wheel bearing failed at 120K-ish and was completely fried. While I got the typical 'bad wheel bearing' sounds, your sound may result from the same thing.

Too bad Toyota cheaped out (or did this for gas mileage) and eliminated the roller bearings used in 1st gen 4Runners and replaced them will ball bearings in 3rd gen. I don't know what 2nd gen used.

Steve
'98 4Runner, 145K
Old 02-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Too bad Toyota cheaped out (or did this for gas mileage) and eliminated the roller bearings used in 1st gen 4Runners and replaced them will ball bearings in 3rd gen. I don't know what 2nd gen used.
I had no idea. I put in the same bearings as always on my Taco axle going under the '93 DD. Virtually the same assembly as the early trucks except 3/4" wider and using thinner steel in the housing (thus leading to spring perch damage with wheel hop - not an issue with a coiled 4Runner).

You sure it didn't change for the 4th gen, not the 3rd?
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

Geez I had no idea either...I figured since it was a normal 8" with the e-locker that it was same same, guess not. I'll jack it up this weekend and see.

so then, anyone press the bearing off themselves, or do you need a special tool or press for it?

hey on a good note I got my re-worked head back so I can finally start installing EFI into my crawler
Old 02-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I had no idea. I put in the same bearings as always on my Taco axle going under the '93 DD. Virtually the same assembly as the early trucks except 3/4" wider and using thinner steel in the housing (thus leading to spring perch damage with wheel hop - not an issue with a coiled 4Runner).

You sure it didn't change for the 4th gen, not the 3rd?
I've heard that the Tacoma and 3rd gen 4R rear wheel bearings were balls rather than tapered, too.

But I don't know first hand as I haven't taken apart the 2005 and my '91 still used tapered roller. Could be that the external dimensions are the same, just that they used ball bearings from the factory. Also could be a difference in trucks and 4Runner, being that the Tacoma axle was made here in the USA by Dana and the 4Runner axles were still made in the motherland.

Just throwing out what-ifs to obscure the question since we've personally missed out on Toyota offerings spanning production from 11/1990 to 9/2004.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

You sure those are tapered rollers? Wouldn't that require some preload?

FWIW, ball bearings are a fine application for rear axle bearings, but they sure don't like leaky axle seals. Neither do brakes.

To change them you need some sort of jig and (I would recommend) a 20-ton press. I was successful using my 12 ton HF press, ONCE, but SeldomSeen discovered its limits with his. No problem, I was able to weld it back together...

I have most of what you need made out of an old axle. You may borrow it for a sixpack or something, as long as the jig has attached to it a satellite tracking system guaranteeing it makes it back to me.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.