Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Emissions Trouble

I'm new to the area. Just moved here from Atlanta, and the emissions testing here is a little different than back home. First off, my LX450 can't pass because I'm running 315's, but I hope to remedy that by tossing on my rommates tires from his 03' gmc serria (please tell me if this won't work - backspacing etc...). The real problem is getting my 79 CJ-7 registered. It has a 350 swapped in and no cats. Back in Atl. they had a rolling exemption for vehicles 25 yrs. or older, but I guess thats not the case out here (am I correct). I do not plan on putting cats on, is there a different tag I can get or something (off-road , street rod... etc). I also have a friend who lives up in edwards, what documentation would I need to register up there (get a gas bill with my name on it or something? Any help is greatly appriceated. It's amazing out here and can't wait to check out some trails in the area.h

1979 Jeep CJ7, 3" lift, 33" BFG m/t, sbc 350, front/rear lockers
Old 02-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

What year is the 350 in the J**p? the emissions will go by the engine year as I remember. I have two FJ40s with small blocks, one SBC is a 1963 and the other a 1991. One has an O2 sensor with a cat and the other has PCV. There is a form you can will out declaring the year of the swapped engine that Air Care CO will use to test the emmissions.

Welcome to Colorado.

Good luck.

You can also register the Jeep with classic plates that are good for 5 years (you have to pass emmissions first).

Quote:
Originally Posted by barCruiser View Post
I'm new to the area. Just moved here from Atlanta, and the emissions testing here is a little different than back home. First off, my LX450 can't pass because I'm running 315's, but I hope to remedy that by tossing on my rommates tires from his 03' gmc serria (please tell me if this won't work - backspacing etc...). The real problem is getting my 79 CJ-7 registered. It has a 350 swapped in and no cats. Back in Atl. they had a rolling exemption for vehicles 25 yrs. or older, but I guess thats not the case out here (am I correct). I do not plan on putting cats on, is there a different tag I can get or something (off-road , street rod... etc). I also have a friend who lives up in edwards, what documentation would I need to register up there (get a gas bill with my name on it or something? Any help is greatly appriceated. It's amazing out here and can't wait to check out some trails in the area.h
Old 02-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Rock Stacker

its a 70 block in the J**p, not sure what kind of emissions they had in 1970, does it matter that I swapped in an older engine than the vehicle? It doesn't have a PCV valve on it but, it wouldn't be that hard to just replace the breather with a pcv plumbed to the carb.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah, it matters, you can't swap an older engine into a newer truck.

So remember that 350 is also a 1979. right?
They are going to want to see everything emissions related that was on a jeep in 1979.
If were talking about an engine with no bling or obvious hotrod parts, the boyz might just overlook that it is a chevy in a jeep.
The good news is that if you can pass the visible test, all they are going to do is shove the stick up the tailpipe and test low and high speed idle. That test is pretty easy to pass. My father-in-law's 1980 Wagoneer runs WAY rich, misfires at idle and has the orginal cats and it passed.

After that, you want to get the classic vehicle car tag. It is registration good for 7 years.
You should be able to renew in 7 years without taking another smog test.
When you sell it, smog will be a problem again. hopefully just for the new owner.
i would put a catalytic converter on it in addition to the stuff you need to make it look like it has smog stuff. That'll probably make it a slam dunk passer.

or, get an ORV sticker. Can't drive it on the street, but you can drive it on forest service roads and stuff.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

Regarding your LX, if the GMC has 16" wheels, it may work, but the wheels may have too much offset.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 02-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Rock Stacker

ok, so the gmc wheels won't fit the cruiser, anyone got a set of small tires (mounted on cruiser rims) just sitting around that I could borrow for an afternoon.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by barCruiser View Post
I also have a friend who lives up in edwards, what documentation would I need to register up there (get a gas bill with my name on it or something?
Curious about any insight anyone can give on this angle. I want to try and register my truck at my parent's house in Silverthorne before I head West.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
After that, you want to get the classic vehicle car tag. It is registration good for 7 years.
You should be able to renew in 7 years without taking another smog test.
the collector plates are only five years, but yes, you don't have to pass again unless you sell the rig or the plates lapse

if edwards is emissions exempt, you will need to show proof of residency there somehow. then keep in mind that all your renewal info will get mailed to that address, not here in denver area.
ige tlca #1431
Old 02-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I have a set of wheels with stock size tires on them you can borrow. I wouldn't take them on any long trips but they should be fine for a day or two around town. I live in Franktown south of Parker.

Also, I'm no expert on emissions but on my 74 FJ40 I took it to the Parker testing station, with 35" tires on it. They never opened the hood, they never looked under it and they never said a word about the tire size because all they did was stick the sniffer in the tail pipe and do the idle test. If yours is a 79 then it meets the 25 + year requirement and doesn't get the dyno test, thus your tire size should not be an issue.

Mine passed the tail pipe sniffer test before I rebuilt the engine and carb. It would barely run because the carb was so hosed up and the #4 cylinder had 0 compression but it passed. If it was me, I would take it to the Parker testing station exactly the way it is today and give it a shot. You really have nothing to lose. As I understand it, if by some chance you fail, the law puts a cap on the amount of money you have to spend to try and get it to pass. Its pretty reasonable like $300 or $400 max. If you take receipts in with you then they can't require you to add more stuff.

Dont get scared off by what you read or by what they tell you over the phone. Take it in and give it a try before you go to a lot of trouble and expense.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 02-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

It was quite recently that they doubled the amount you have to spend on repairs to get a waiver. Now it is $715.

"The limit is $75 for 1967 and older vehicles and $715 for 1968 and newer vehicles. Cost limits apply to all vehicles regardless of whether they failed the idle test or the I/M 240 test. However, these limits do not apply if the vehicle failed for visible smoke or missing emissions control equipment. You may be eligible for a waiver if you have reached the spending limit and your vehicle still won't pass the emissions test. Hardship waivers are also available. Call the Division of Motor Vehicles Emissions Office, 303-205-5603, to inquire about waivers."