Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Striped t-case drain plug

That pretty well describes it. I noticed 90wt seep on my t-case from the drain plug. Put the 24mm on gave it a light tug and it was stripped Good news is I'm headed to Christo's shop on monday for a skid plate. Anyone got recommendation on how to repair it. I assume it's the Alu case and not the Bolt that's stripped. I don't really want to drain it and have a look now. I have no idea how long it's been like this. I haven't noticed any dripping on my driveway. I don't recall stripping it last time I changed the fluid, nor do I really remember the last time I did, Maybe before CM08. Is there an over sized thread plug? or does one heli-coil?
Old 02-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Helicoil does make big repair kits. The plug will be 18mm x 1.5 threads. Now whether or not an 18mm Helicoil kit is cost effective for a one-off repair, probably not (I'd bet on $100 for a kit). Wonder if Slee has the Helicoil kit, I'd think so.

As to why, maybe you had the truck serviced someplace and they used the wrong plug gasket. There are two difference ones, one for aluminum stuff (like our transfer cases are aluminum) and the other for steel (like axle housings and H42 tranny cases). One gasket crushes easier than the other, you see why.

I've seen temp plugs that are expanding rubber stoppers, if it's leaking enough that driving it might be a problem

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

It seems fine to drive. I'll look for a puddle under it the next few days. I don't know it if can be taped to a larger size or what the protocol is. I do use a Quicky lube place for oil changes and they do a "full sevice" I understand opening the fill plug. But I don't think they would touch the drain. Hopefully Slee's got some extra time monday and the parts in stock. I don't want to chase the parts myself. It's a little more difficult up here than for you city folks.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Researched this a bit when I discovered my AT pan or bolt is stripped. In the end I decided to get a new pan but folks here suggested hitting up Napa for an oversized bolt or one that rethreads the hole (probably a technical term for it).

Here was the thread --> http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ead.php?t=7201

I also recall when I was at Napa buying an oversized bolt that they had this pretty cool ones that were oversized and in the center they had a smaller bolt. So, you put the new oversized one in and cranked it down, and then the next time you needed to drain the fluid you removed the smaller center bolt.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Ok, I'm an idiot. With the light of day and a clear head. Sure enough it's the fill plug. And it probably was the quicky lube folks. I'll call them in the AM and see what there policy is. I presume I can have Slee do the repair and present them with the bill. Or at least they'll cover it with coupons.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Went to Slee monday. I've now got a new rear cover on my t-case. Stopped by the Quickey Lube this afternoon. The owner was very apologetic and wrote me a check for $539. Well handled and I'll go back there again for more oil changes. I'll be more insistant that I don't need them to check anything else. Just the oil and filter.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
Went to Slee monday. I've now got a new rear cover on my t-case. Stopped by the Quickey Lube this afternoon. The owner was very apologetic and wrote me a check for $539. Well handled and I'll go back there again for more oil changes. I'll be more insistant that I don't need them to check anything else. Just the oil and filter.
Wow! Kudos to the shop for stepping up like that

Wish there were more businesses like that.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-25-2009, 05:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Wow! Kudos to the shop for stepping up like that

Wish there were more businesses like that.
Yeah, $500 isn't chump change for him I'd guess. It's nice when things go right.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I've seen temp plugs that are expanding rubber stoppers, if it's leaking enough that driving it might be a problem
Heh: Lab rubber stoppers work great. Glad the Quickie lube owner stepped up, I wish there were more businesses that stood behind their work.
Attached Images

Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/