Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Wincher

Default Pit-man arm pull? FZJ80

Ok so I recently got my newest toy, which has a major problem. Somehow... the left pit-man arm is set in wrong. I believe it is just a quarter turn off but not sure. So I get about 2 1/2 turns out of steering wheel when I turn right but only about 1 3/4 or so when I turn left. Basically I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to pull it and set it right. I have never done it before so on a scale of the old 1-10 how damm hard is it? Thanks in advance if anyone can help, or give any advice.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma303 View Post
the left pit-man arm is set in wrong.
you specify left, there's only one pitman arm is this the arm coming off the bottom of the steering gear? you'll need to get the lower nut off, impact is the only way i've been able to get them loose on other model cruisers, then you need a high quality puller.

don't use heat because you can damage the output seal.

also, just before you pull it, get an awl and scratch a line across the arm and the bottom of the output shaft so you know where it was before you pulled it
ige tlca #1431
Old 02-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Did you check to make sure that when you turn left you aren't up against the "doohickey" that is supposed to limit how far the tires will turn left or right? I'm sure there is a technical term for whatever it is (turn limiter bolt or ??)

I only ask because I remember seeing those doohickeys when Ben and I serviced my 80's front axle and I asked them what they were for - Just thinking out loud but if someone backed one of them out for some reason I would think that would limit your turn radius.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Wincher

I do know that it is not the thing with no tech. name we know of (Wheel stop thingy). It is the pitman arm, and I just said left because alot of ppl confuse the idler arm and pitman arm. Worth while to just buy a new one for 40-50 bucks. I can just rent a puller from autozone right? will one of those universal ones work? Thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Pitman arms have double spline blocks at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock so they can not be off by a tooth. If it was off it would have to be 90* off!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

Stop. Don't do anything. You need to re-center your steering wheel via the relay rod. It has an adjuster on it.

You cannot re-index the PA. The splines do not allow this. The only other reason why it would be off is if someone pulled the steering wheel and didn't put it back on the steering shaft where it was.

Edit: UB beat me to it!

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 02-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Wincher

i thought i had said a quarter turn off on the pitman, sorry if i confused you guys. it is a full 90* off, (i believe) thats the problem. fine to drive but a drive through or parking is a bitch. so bikeman... i do not need to pull the arm then? or if i do i just need a new one? thanks guys
Old 02-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma303 View Post
i thought i had said a quarter turn off on the pitman, sorry if i confused you guys. it is a full 90* off, (i believe) thats the problem. fine to drive but a drive through or parking is a bitch. so bikeman... i do not need to pull the arm then? or if i do i just need a new one? thanks guys
There is no way I would think it could be indexed 90* off! That is way extreme considering the PA only travels about 30* total travel. WOW!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

I still think the relay rod needs adjusting. Is the rig lifted? A 4" lift could make the steering wheel off 90* if it has not been corrected. Is the steering wheel straight when you are driving?

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 02-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Wincher

Ok so I'm just a dumbass... so I went to see Oleg before I did anything rash. He told me I just need a new steering box. So ty Ben and Bike for all the help.