Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 02-10-2009, 09:36 AM

Question CB Radio Suggestion?

Hi All, I see there's a requirement to have a CB radio in your vehicle for CM09. Can someone make a sugestion on a brand and also where to get it? Assuming it's not a hand held, is there a suggestion for the antenna as well?
Thanks, LETSROLL
Old 02-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Uniden and Cobra are both good brands. You will be much happier with a radio that is installed in your vehicle than a handheld radio.

Buy a decent mid-line radio from a good brand and have it peaked for maximum range. Then invest in a very good antenna, which makes a big difference. Don't mount the antenna parallel to to another metal surface if possible -- you'll get much better range.

I'm a fan of this place:

Radio Service Center
918 South Sheridan Boulevard
Denver, CO 80226
(303) 922-8107

The nice thing about buying a CB radio from a place like this is that they can tune your radio for maximum performance. You buy a new radio from them, then pay an extra fee (like $30) for them to open the radio and tune it up. You'll have better transmission power than a stock, out-of-the-box radio.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Skip the cb and go right to ham.

It'll be interesting to see how much chatter there is on cb with most of the club and more than a few participants using ham now.
TLCA#4180
Old 02-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Uniden and Cobra are both good brands. You will be much happier with a radio that is installed in your vehicle than a handheld radio.

Buy a decent mid-line radio from a good brand and have it peaked for maximum range. Then invest in a very good antenna, which makes a big difference. Don't mount the antenna parallel to to another metal surface if possible -- you'll get much better range.

I'm a fan of this place:

Radio Service Center
918 South Sheridan Boulevard
Denver, CO 80226
(303) 922-8107

The nice thing about buying a CB radio from a place like this is that they can tune your radio for maximum performance. You buy a new radio from them, then pay an extra fee (like $30) for them to open the radio and tune it up. You'll have better transmission power than a stock, out-of-the-box radio.

Great advice, all around!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
Skip the cb and go right to ham.

It'll be interesting to see how much chatter there is on cb with most of the club and more than a few participants using ham now.
A CB is a requirement for Cruise Moab this year. Not enough trail leaders have both ham and CB to justify the either/or requirement. The thinking is that most ham guys will still have a CB radio, or at minimum a handheld unit.

Wasn't my suggestion -- I'm a lover of all things ham.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Wincher

Default CB radio

I have both HAM and CB. Spend the least possible on a tuned CB setup.

Went wheeling with someone that purchased one of the chepo combo units from Walmart (hang it out the window) and he had about 1/8 a mile coverage .

I have a Uniden 510 ($33) and Wilson Magnetic Mount Little Wil CB Antenna ($40 ). The Little Wil was tuned at Camelot before they went out of business ($10 to tune the CB and HAM). It works fine for wheeling but the HAM is 10 times better.

John
KDODCU
Old 02-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Antenna mount?

I recently purchased a CB as well (Cobra 75 xt, I think, off e-bay) and was wondering if I can mount the antenna on my front ARB? If so, is it OK to just mount it where there is already a light tab on the top tubing, or is it better to drill a hole in the actual flat part of the bumper and mount it there? I purchased a 4' tunable firestik antenna if that makes any difference.

Also, my coax cable is longer than it needs to be. Is it OK to put make a loose wind with the excess cable and secure it? Or does it have to be shortened? I'd rather keep the excess in case I ever decide to move the mount to the rear.

Thanks.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 02-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Did you mean tune the antenna to the transceiver for $30? Because if you're paying somebody any amount of money to "tune" your CB radio, you're getting ripped off. You cannot "tune" your CB radio to have better transmission. You can tune your antenna to your radio, though. Is that what you meant to say?

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is currently for sale
Old 02-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

The brand or quality of the CB receiver is only marginally relative to transmit/receive quality! Antennas are everything! Same with Ham for the most part. A quality antenna along with good quality grounding and wiring with a cheapo transceiver will out shine the highest quality transceiver with a mediocre antenna and/or bad wiring! That said, I also have the Cobra 75WX transceiver in my 80 and I really like it. I am using a Wilson 5 foot fiberglass top loaded whip along with braided ground straps and weather tight bonded/shielded coax. For a CB it gets out pretty good. I used to think it had some real range before listened to the Devils advocate, Nathanial, and got into 2 meter. In my opinion, CB is still manditory in a trail rig and 2 meter is an extremely wise choice! It is rare in RS to need the CB but nearly every run still CB is needed for communication for 90% of other trail users out there!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGEONE View Post
Also, my coax cable is longer than it needs to be. Is it OK to put make a loose wind with the excess cable and secure it? Or does it have to be shortened? I'd rather keep the excess in case I ever decide to move the mount to the rear.
Coil the extra coax into about an 8" diameter loop then zip tie the loop in its center to form a figure 8 in the coil. Doing this will prevent your introducing problems into your antenna system (read: high SWR) from a circular coil causing unwanted inductance in your antenna feed line. Make sense?

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is currently for sale