Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

CO2 all the way.

I used to want a compressor, until I saw a CO2 tank.

I got a 20 lb tank off of ebay for cheap, a regulator off ebay, for cheap, and hoses and the like came to about 150 bucks. Actually, it was only 50, but that was due to a royal screw up on the sellers portion, and he ended up giving me my money back, after the welding store was cool enough to give me a filled cylinder.

Anyway, there is a general air about 3 blocks from my work. I stop in, give them my tank, pay 15-17 dollars, and walk out with a new tank. Takes all of 3-5 minutes.

My gauge is great, as when the tank gets low (ie, no liquid CO2 left), the guage begins to drop in pressure. I've found that, when that happens, I get one more fill out of the tank.

A york engine driven compressor can keep up with CO2, but nothing else compares. I can also run air tools.

To give you an example: the CO2 set up I saw and convinced me was a powertank with a high volume regulator. Those are available from UA for a little extra money.

The guy filled all 4 33x12.5's on his truck, all 4 35x12.5s on another truck, and finished off a third guys' rear tires, all in the time it took the guy with a compressor to fill ONLY his 4 tires.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 02-16-2009, 07:50 AM
Club Treasurer

Thanks for all the great input. I am leaning toward the 12v, even if it's slower, mainly because it never runs out. Heck, I drive a 40 to work half the time - do I look like I'm in a hurry?

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 02-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

CO2 rocks, the "running out" downside has never struck me as a big issue since you know about how many fills you get and can manage to that - the upside of filling up a 35" tire in about 90 seconds to 35 PSI more than makes up for it. I suppose you have to pick your inconveniences - speed after every trail run vs. a couple of refills a year (depending how much you wheel of course).

They real downside, IMO, is that CO2 is pretty temperature/PSI sensitive, so you really need to watch your onroad air pressure. At the end of the summer wheeling season, it would be worth airing all the way down and refilling with a compressor.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

I used CO2 for all of the last summer wheeling season and liked the speed and convenience. It fills tires wicked fast. I liked it because it was cheap (relatively speaking) and easy to use. Also didn't have to have the truck running.

On the minus side.. my regulator tended to freeze up sometimes and act funny... flow would really drop off (even in the summer). I also ran out of gas a few times which typically wasn't a problem since I knew is was running low and I just filled to a lower pressure to get back home (like from 15 to 25psi) and it had enough juice. Like AxleIke says, the Gauge is enough to know when you are at your last tire fill. If it is dropping... go get it filled. I filled or actually got mine swapped at the gen air in boulder. nice thing is that they just swap you out so it is super fast and really cheap too.. and you always get a nice tank since most folk just use them for beverage service. Also the location in denver is open on the weekends in case you forget you needed gas.

Also I didn't like carrying the thing. my 20lb cylinder was kinda big... and the regulator was fragile. I knocked the gauge on it a few times.

I installed a york a few months back and have loved it. with the motor at 2k rpm it fills faster than my co2 tank ever did. at idle it matches it. I think i paid around 500 bucks for everything i needed to get it on including an expensive bracket from kilby and the compressor from the boneyard. if yo ufab your own bracket you could knock 150 bucks off the price probably. Bad thing is you can't move it between rigs.

I do have the old regulator, gauge, and 20lb tank sitting in the garage doing nothing right now. I was going to try and get rid of it.

All I really need now is a 5lb tank again for my homebrewing setup again. maybe we can figure out a deal.
82 FJ40

Last edited by rover67; 02-16-2009 at 08:37 AM. Reason: can't spell still.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
both. compressor and co2.. I always carried both.
x2. I went with just a compressor for a while, but now I've got CO2 (fast and easy), plus the compressor (slow and reliable) for backup.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

I also get my CO2 tank filled at the Brewery supply shop close to my house.
2x the cost of Red Commet (my first choice), but the Brew Hut is on the way home from work.

Sucks when the CO2 tank runs out (about 11 tires.) , but it might take 2 hours for my old "Quick Air 2" to fill all 4 36x13.50s.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
, but it might take 2 hours for my old "Quick Air 2" to fill all 4 36x13.50s.
my *old* (Treeroot was 20 when I got it) Quick Air II is hard mounted in my cargo box to a 5 gal tank ($20 harbor freight "portable sports filler" with a pressure relief valve) and a pressure switch that shuts off at 110 PSI and on at about 80 (Grainger). A hose runs out the rear. I flip a dash switch (to a relay) to pressurize the tank a while before needing to air up. It will run for 20 minutes to fill the tank and then shut off. When I had two tanks the first two and a half tires (33s) were really fast and the next two slower. Since a subwoofer needed a home, I have only one tank now. Now the first tire and a half is fast, then it gets slow. Maybe about 10 min from 15 PSI to 32 for all 4. I have a filler I can clip to a valve stem and leave while it fills. A dual filler hose (or even quad) would be slick. Then I could set it and forget it.

I have used this to re-seat beads twice. A compressor alone won't do that. If I had more rigs I'd go C02. Not portable between vehicles.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

I like my CO2 system. refills were a pain when I lived in Summit county but now that a refill is only a few blocks from work that complaint is resolved. I recently picked up a spare tank so running out not much of an issue anymore. I don't really have the patience to wait for 12v compressor but I've never used a good one. Just the cheapos.

Reseating a bead can be done with CO2 you'll need a storage tank to do so with 12v.

Additionally the CO2 tank has proven valuable around the house to run my finishing nailer and refill the precharge tank for our domestic water. (we have a well, no city water). A 12v compressor wouldn't do those jobs very well if at all. Some day it will take care of my keg needs too.....
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

CO2. Among the advantages not mentioned so far (that I saw) is that you can toss it in various rigs. Oh yeah did anyone say FAST? Also not mentioned is running air tools. I was trying to get a pinion nut off at Moab one year (you all know which one :-) and a buddy's 90PSI OBA wasn't doing the job with the air impact wrench. Hooked up 150 PSI CO2 and spun that sucker right off. Oh yeah!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 02-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

I just bought a CO2 setup from Steve (Crash), I got two 10 lb bottles which was a great deal, thanks again Steve. I used to have the $50 compressor from Costco actually still do. It works great but very slow, I run 37's. It would take at least 45 minutes to fill from 8-10 to 30 ish pounds, got tired of waiting. During runs I would use my compressor and bum fills from Red Chili or anybody near me so they did not have to wait for me.

Now with the CO2 I will be able to air up faster, run air tools, take it in different vehicles, use it for air tools around the house where I can't get my home compressor or don't want to drag a hose. The other nice thing is the amount of pressure you can run out of it, far more than the average home compressor or OBA set up except for maybe a York.

For $300 bucks you can get a nice "home made" set up from the Internet. I got a very nice regulator on eBay for $50 that did not freeze up when set to 110 lbs, of course somebody had to permanently borrow it.

Just take all the pros and cons people have listed and make a list. But before you do that write down your most important requirement so you don't talk yourself into something you don't really want.

I also saw a used Powertank with full gauge set up etc. for $300 on Colorado4x4.com.

I will travel to Moab with 2 10 lb bottles of CO2 AND my 12v compressor just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me