Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
You want a big built one? you could have this one for $8K.. http://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-tra...ed-locked.html
I almost bought this rig 3 years ago when it was sold the first time. Those are custom front y-link radius arms. I didn't want to go that big at the time.

I would only buy a built rig, those mods are maybe five cents on the dollar at this point?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Just to complete this thought, if you have an Air Locker you NEED to having these rolling around in your spares box. Naturally assuming proper setup and regular maintenance, but these little $10 fittings solve the most common on-trail issues.

Dave, where can we pick these up locally without having to order them first?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
I almost bought this rig 3 years ago when it was sold the first time. Those are custom front y-link radius arms. I didn't want to go that big at the time.

I would only buy a built rig, those mods are maybe five cents on the dollar at this point?
Having built 3 rigs now, I can honestly say you would have to be a complete maroon if you think you can treat building a vehicle as an investment.

I had close to 15k into my rover that I ended up selling for 3k.
I probably lost 9k in my last 80

oh - you CAN manually operate an elocker to some extent, not so with an arb. that's my only .02 on this

john (johnny) henley
Old 02-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Rising Sun Commander

And while true, I seem to enjoy the journey too much to ever just go buy something someone else built. I like my 4" springs now because I had J's before. And I liked the J's, because I had 850's before. and I liked the 850's, because... same goes for all the tires, lighting modifications, various cargo area configurations, each new one is an improvement to the last, and the process of making that happen is often more enjoyable to me than the end result. It's clearly a hobby, not a business.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Not sure, maybe Christo would have them?

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 02-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I got mine at High Country 4x4
Old 02-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
And while true, I seem to enjoy the journey too much to ever just go buy something someone else built. I like my 4" springs now because I had J's before. And I liked the J's, because I had 850's before. and I liked the 850's, because... same goes for all the tires, lighting modifications, various cargo area configurations, each new one is an improvement to the last, and the process of making that happen is often more enjoyable to me than the end result. It's clearly a hobby, not a business.
Yeah, but think how cool it would be if you could start with an 80 like the one Neil Quigley bought. Supercharged, HID lights, bumpers... even if you wanted different armor, you could sell off the used parts.

I've always been skeptical of buying a truck that someone else built, but there are occasionally opportunities to buy really solid, amazing trucks. I would have loved to have owned Wild Rice. Hatfield's old pig was really well built and needed nothing. You could buy any truck that FJBen builds -- he only owns them for 6 months before he decides to "save money" by selling it, and then buys another one a few months later.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have ARB in the front and factory in the rear. I really like the set up. If you are buying an 80 buy one with factory lockers. If you find an 80 you like without lockers plan on another $2500 to add the ARB. I will sugest that you also consider a 98 or 99 land cruiser. They were offered with a factory rear locker and an ARB may be installed in the front for about $1300. How may 80 owners can run with just the front locker engaged? Or maybe that's bad birfield juju. 98-99's don't have birfield issues
Old 02-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
.... How may 80 owners can run with just the front locker engaged?
That's funny I have actually discussed doing that mod in threads of old, would like to have it if it was somewhat feasible. Involves quite a bit of wiring work though, more than this Joe pocketknife and his roll of electrical tape should probably take on. Have you ever run open rear/locked in front Farnham?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Yeah, but think how cool it would be if you could start with an 80 like the one Neil Quigley bought. Supercharged, HID lights, bumpers... even if you wanted different armor, you could sell off the used parts.

I've always been skeptical of buying a truck that someone else built, but there are occasionally opportunities to buy really solid, amazing trucks. I would have loved to have owned Wild Rice. Hatfield's old pig was really well built and needed nothing. You could buy any truck that FJBen builds -- he only owns them for 6 months before he decides to "save money" by selling it, and then buys another one a few months later.
Very good point My last 80 I traded for but still had to sell. The good news is that we are debt free besides the house right now

Buying built isn't a bad deal at all, a lot of times they are very nicely setup for WAY cheaper than you can build it.
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride