Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 02-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Nay's Avatar
Nay Nay is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
You want a big built one? you could have this one for $8K.. http://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-tra...ed-locked.html
I almost bought this rig 3 years ago when it was sold the first time. Those are custom front y-link radius arms. I didn't want to go that big at the time.

I would only buy a built rig, those mods are maybe five cents on the dollar at this point?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Crash's Avatar
Crash Crash is online now
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Just to complete this thought, if you have an Air Locker you NEED to having these rolling around in your spares box. Naturally assuming proper setup and regular maintenance, but these little $10 fittings solve the most common on-trail issues.

Dave, where can we pick these up locally without having to order them first?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Beater's Avatar
Beater Beater is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 2,772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
I almost bought this rig 3 years ago when it was sold the first time. Those are custom front y-link radius arms. I didn't want to go that big at the time.

I would only buy a built rig, those mods are maybe five cents on the dollar at this point?
Having built 3 rigs now, I can honestly say you would have to be a complete maroon if you think you can treat building a vehicle as an investment.

I had close to 15k into my rover that I ended up selling for 3k.
I probably lost 9k in my last 80

oh - you CAN manually operate an elocker to some extent, not so with an arb. that's my only .02 on this
__________________
a near-death experience is just god following "catch and release" regulations...


john (johnny) henley
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-24-2009, 01:10 PM
nakman's Avatar
nakman nakman is offline
Rising Sun Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: north side
Posts: 9,791
Default

And while true, I seem to enjoy the journey too much to ever just go buy something someone else built. I like my 4" springs now because I had J's before. And I liked the J's, because I had 850's before. and I liked the 850's, because... same goes for all the tires, lighting modifications, various cargo area configurations, each new one is an improvement to the last, and the process of making that happen is often more enjoyable to me than the end result. It's clearly a hobby, not a business.
__________________
99 uzj100, 05 525EXC

www.gamiviti.com

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-24-2009, 01:11 PM
DaveInDenver's Avatar
DaveInDenver DaveInDenver is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Larimer County
Posts: 6,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Dave, where can we pick these up locally without having to order them first?
Not sure, maybe Christo would have them?
__________________
'91 Pickup

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Tch2fly's Avatar
Tch2fly Tch2fly is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Peachtree City, Georgia
Posts: 929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Dave, where can we pick these up locally without having to order them first?
I got mine at High Country 4x4
__________________
Mike W.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Hulk's Avatar
Hulk Hulk is offline
Cruise Moab Committee
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: South Side!
Posts: 11,311
Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
And while true, I seem to enjoy the journey too much to ever just go buy something someone else built. I like my 4" springs now because I had J's before. And I liked the J's, because I had 850's before. and I liked the 850's, because... same goes for all the tires, lighting modifications, various cargo area configurations, each new one is an improvement to the last, and the process of making that happen is often more enjoyable to me than the end result. It's clearly a hobby, not a business.
Yeah, but think how cool it would be if you could start with an 80 like the one Neil Quigley bought. Supercharged, HID lights, bumpers... even if you wanted different armor, you could sell off the used parts.

I've always been skeptical of buying a truck that someone else built, but there are occasionally opportunities to buy really solid, amazing trucks. I would have loved to have owned Wild Rice. Hatfield's old pig was really well built and needed nothing. You could buy any truck that FJBen builds -- he only owns them for 6 months before he decides to "save money" by selling it, and then buys another one a few months later.
__________________
Matt Farr, Centennial, Colorado | Webmaster: TLCA.org
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-24-2009, 06:55 PM
farnhamstj's Avatar
farnhamstj farnhamstj is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: vail co
Posts: 2,572
Default

I have ARB in the front and factory in the rear. I really like the set up. If you are buying an 80 buy one with factory lockers. If you find an 80 you like without lockers plan on another $2500 to add the ARB. I will sugest that you also consider a 98 or 99 land cruiser. They were offered with a factory rear locker and an ARB may be installed in the front for about $1300. How may 80 owners can run with just the front locker engaged? Or maybe that's bad birfield juju. 98-99's don't have birfield issues
__________________
98 uzj100. Factory rear-ARB front locked 4.88's. ARB Bull, Warn 9000, Irbis rear bumper, Slee sliders and belly pan. OME t-bars w/863 rears, HID, XM
KD0GWO
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-24-2009, 08:50 PM
nakman's Avatar
nakman nakman is offline
Rising Sun Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: north side
Posts: 9,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
.... How may 80 owners can run with just the front locker engaged?
That's funny I have actually discussed doing that mod in threads of old, would like to have it if it was somewhat feasible. Involves quite a bit of wiring work though, more than this Joe pocketknife and his roll of electrical tape should probably take on. Have you ever run open rear/locked in front Farnham?
__________________
99 uzj100, 05 525EXC

www.gamiviti.com

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-26-2009, 08:18 AM
FJBen's Avatar
FJBen FJBen is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Yeah, but think how cool it would be if you could start with an 80 like the one Neil Quigley bought. Supercharged, HID lights, bumpers... even if you wanted different armor, you could sell off the used parts.

I've always been skeptical of buying a truck that someone else built, but there are occasionally opportunities to buy really solid, amazing trucks. I would have loved to have owned Wild Rice. Hatfield's old pig was really well built and needed nothing. You could buy any truck that FJBen builds -- he only owns them for 6 months before he decides to "save money" by selling it, and then buys another one a few months later.
Very good point My last 80 I traded for but still had to sell. The good news is that we are debt free besides the house right now

Buying built isn't a bad deal at all, a lot of times they are very nicely setup for WAY cheaper than you can build it.
__________________
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.