Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default 3.4 heat shield rattle

Who else is this affecting or has had it happen, and what did you do about it?

I am referencing the header crossover pipe shield next to the firewall.

Seems there was a tsb for while it was under factory warranty, but that was some time ago.

thanks in advance

j

john (johnny) henley
Old 02-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

It's a pain to get to, to put it mildly. You sure the TSB was only during warranty?

No, I don't use the stocker.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

I am thinking cut it off, and use header wrap. Thoughts?

john (johnny) henley
Old 02-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Well, from the University of Been There Done That....

You absolutely need the flex joint in the stock crossover. If you are thinking of just removing the shield from the stocker, and wrapping the result, that would approximate the setup on the Chili. Don't know about clearances with the T100 though. The thing gets HOT HOT so beware. I had an ebrake cable melt before I thought to reroute it and it wasn't even that close.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

There's nothing next to the damn thing, except the firewall, and that's substantially far away. Did you just zip wheel/pry it off?

The 3.4 in a t100 is akin to a 6cyl in an old f100. You could set up a camp for a few small children in there compared to the compartment on an 80 or 4runner

john (johnny) henley
Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

You could use a very large stainless steel hose clamp around the whole thing. I did this on a '90 F250 with a noisy heat sheild. If the heat shield is securely attached, but still makes noise (as does the cat. heat shield on my '98 4Runner) you could tap the shield with a hammer to upset its resonant frequency - basically, put dent in it. Tack-welding it back to the pipe is another option.

Steve
Old 02-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
You could use a very large stainless steel hose clamp around the whole thing. I did this on a '90 F250 with a noisy heat sheild. If the heat shield is securely attached, but still makes noise (as does the cat. heat shield on my '98 4Runner) you could tap the shield with a hammer to upset its resonant frequency - basically, put dent in it. Tack-welding it back to the pipe is another option.

Steve

gee never thought about welding it... lol

I can't see any cracks or anything in the shield, I have a c-clamp on one side, ghetto, but cool in a way, and it didn't get the harmonics cured. I like the hose clamp idea

j

john (johnny) henley
Old 02-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

The C clamp is fairly ghetto - have you considered using a pair of vice-grip pliers, instead? ;-)
Old 02-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
There's nothing next to the damn thing, except the firewall, and that's substantially far away. Did you just zip wheel/pry it off?
Nope.
I removed all of the 4Runner around it and had someone reinstall another 4Runner to replace that one. I happened to have one in my garage.

In the process a custom crossover (larger OD) somehow found its way there. Glass wrapped of course.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
Old 04-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

ok - so, come to find out, this is a common source of noise on the 3.4

Here's one fix:

Pry off the cheesy flange clamped excuse for a heat shield. There are 4 tacks, 2 on each end, but the come lose with a small prybar/chisel, just like the rest of this not worth being made into an ashtray heatshield...
Attached Images

john (johnny) henley