Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Wincher

Default Best Option for a Daily Driven Work Truck?

Hey all,

I'm looking to get a truck that I will be driving in Denver on a daily basis for work. I'm in Real Estate Development and I'm a project manager so its a truck that will probably have a bunch thrown in the back when I have to pick up materials.

I'm thinking about an fj60 as we just sold my boss's fj40 and I liked that a lot... He liked that idea, or a toyota pickup.

Not looking to spend too much on something we have the 2500 from the fj40, and a bit more depending on if its a really solid truck, or a spectacular deal on something.

Most importantly it needs to be ROCK solid reliable more than it needs to be a looker.

Thanks for suggestions,
Jeff
Old 02-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

I Pm'ed ya. For that price you should be able to find a solid 60 or 62, would make a great work truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post
Hey all,

I'm looking to get a truck that I will be driving in Denver on a daily basis for work. I'm in Real Estate Development and I'm a project manager so its a truck that will probably have a bunch thrown in the back when I have to pick up materials.

I'm thinking about an fj60 as we just sold my boss's fj40 and I liked that a lot... He liked that idea, or a toyota pickup.

Not looking to spend too much on something we have the 2500 from the fj40, and a bit more depending on if its a really solid truck, or a spectacular deal on something.

Most importantly it needs to be ROCK solid reliable more than it needs to be a looker.

Thanks for suggestions,
Jeff
* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 02-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

What sort of payloads are you talking here? Coming from a FJ40, I'm guessing not a ton of heavy hauling intended. The FJ60 could work, decent space and the floor with the back seat folded down is flat and will take what you dish out (it's metal IIRC).

I would consider a middle years pickup for a work truck, 1984-1995 with the IFS ones (1986-1995) being the better deal since they aren't as highly desired for technical trucks.

The down side of a mini truck is that sheet goods are a compromise. Goods that are 4x8 fit in the bed, but sit on top of the wheel wells a little awkwardly. It works, just less good. With the long bed (which is 7 feet) plywood and drywall fit better, but you still have to either leave the tailgate down or have it sitting on top.

I would personally get a 1989-1992 regular cab, long bed as a work truck if I was in the market, they will have a lot fewer rust issue than earlier trucks but still be reliable.

FWIW, I can verify that a regular bed, XtraCab 1991 with Northwest Offroad Stage II springs can haul just a bit over 2,000 lbs of landscaping materials (top soil, Pavestone blocks) comfortably, although slow with a 22R-E, on surfaces streets. Just as a point of reference, a 6' Hilux bed filled to the top of the rails is about one and half cubic yards of material. The brakes will stop you from 40MPH or so without much complaint. Otherwise, about a dozen sheets of drywall or about 50 or so 2x4s, no problem. If I was building a house, I'd invest in a good trailer. But our pickup has taken a beating on all the remodel junk we've done so far.

The single best feature IMVHO about the Hilux is that the tailgate is easy to release from it's side straps and flips down 180 degrees (pointing straight down at the ground) or comes off super fast, which makes unloading dirt and rock stupid easy.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Wincher

Well the fj40 was going to be used as it was free and my boss had owned it for 10 years or so.

The heaviest thing I'd probably be carrying is a pallet of tile for the workers to install.

What engine should I look at in an old pickup? I've heard horrible things about the 3.slow

Do they call them the hilux in the states? Always thought that wasnt the name for them here heh.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 02-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Nah, Toyota just called them the Pickup. But up to 1992 they were identical to the world Hilux and after 1992 they were still similar, just made in the US rather than Japan.

Don't believe the Internet wisdom, the 3.0L is just fine, particularly for a beater truck. It is slow and it might only go 250K before needing a major refresh. Oh dear. Some of them failed badly with rotten headgaskets, but since Toyota stopped using the engine about 13 years ago now my $0.02 is that any that have made it this long are either (1) part of the good ones or (b) already had their HG rework done by Toyota (it was a warranty recall to have it done).

But I have a 22R-E just the same...

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 02-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Wincher

http://pueblo.craigslist.org/cto/1037460150.html

What about something like that?

Is there a difference between fj80 and fjz80? I'm a bit confused

Thanks guys!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

good info on MUD:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...ification.html
* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 02-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

The FJ80 has the 3FE engine plus the extra weight of the 80, the FZJ80 (starting in 1993) has the 4.5L. Still not a rocket at our altitudes, but serviceable.

The 80 is a great rig, but I wouldn't touch one for $3K because it will probably end up needing that much in maintenance.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Wincher

What do you guys think of the pickup I posted?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post
What do you guys think of the pickup I posted?
It's alright, seems a little expensive to me for a regular cab. It looks like it has a body lift on it to me, which I'm not a fan of. You can find decent XtraCabs for $3K and it's nice having the space. Unless you're in a huge hurry I would look for a couple of days and see what you turn up.