Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Wincher

Sooo probably a bad daily driver work truck?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post
Sooo probably a bad daily driver work truck?
Not really bad, but for the money you could get a newer, more dependable Toyota pickup that would be faster, better on gas, and require less maintenance. Also, an open bed seems more useful for a work rig.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

A 55 falls into several categories:
* A project that you want to spend a ton of time and money on because you really love pigs
* A complete beater that may have iffy dependability
* A sweet ride that someone else has already dumped a bunch of money into, that will cost you some money to pick up, that will be too nice to use as a beater work truck.

The 55 is a collector vehicle.

If you want a work truck Land Cruiser, buy a 60 or a 62. No other Land Cruiser has the immense capacity of a 60-series anyway, so it will be a better work truck all around. You can also pick up a clean one for $5k or less, and many of them will include a lift as well. They are great rigs and very dependable.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Wincher

The '87 in town that I looked at, and got kicked off the guys driveway before making an offer, his son contacted me and said so far his Dad would take 2700 for it but not from me haha.

Seems like a good truck.
Interior is perfect besides one crack in the side bolster of driver seat from getting in and out and the dash is cracked in like 3 places Seats had been covered their entire life until a few weeks ago so they are really clean. Even all the carpet is pretty perfect.

Exterior has one rust spot on the drivers fender at the bottom that does not touch the rocker panel. There is also a small bubble inside the passengers side rear wheel well at the very front - not visible from the outside. Everything else exterior is pretty perfect - paint could use some wax.

Frame has a bit of scaling but is very very solid. The rear part by the spare does have that wavy-ness that happens so I would need to repair that properly.

Engine sounded really really smooth and strong. Truck has 159k miles on it and is a one owner truck. Has new radiator, alternator, clutch, flywheel etc.

Problems: Power steering pump makes some noise, brakes had a bit of modulation in the pedal, the front drivers side knuckle looks a bit wet, and apparently even though he asked for it to be replaced, it has a slight rear main leak.

Oh it also JUST passed emissions. It had sat 3 weeks when I got there and with the choke open and pressing the gas twice it fired RIGHT up and sounded perfect.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Doesn't seem high risk. If you are fair handy with a wrench. This is a 60 then?
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
The '87 in town that I looked at, and got kicked off the guys driveway before making an offer, his son contacted me and said so far his Dad would take 2700 for it but not from me haha.

What do you guys think?
Why bother if the owner doesn't want to sell it to you. What did you do? Tell him you liked his *eep?

Lost of good 60's for sale. Keep looking, you'll find a good one. But I still think a truck makes more sense. I own a 60, and I bought a truck for hauling and "work". Having to crawl around the back of a 60 on your knees gets old when you're hauling stuff.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Wincher

My boss really liked the idea of a 60 over a pickup so far - mostly because it can hold a ton and be locked.

Basically he kicked me off the driveway because I was looking over his truck too hard to make sure it looked as good as it did.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
A 55 falls into several categories:
* A project that you want to spend a ton of time and money on because you really love pigs
* A complete beater that may have iffy dependability
* A sweet ride that someone else has already dumped a bunch of money into, that will cost you some money to pick up, that will be too nice to use as a beater work truck.

The 55 is a collector vehicle.

If you want a work truck Land Cruiser, buy a 60 or a 62. No other Land Cruiser has the immense capacity of a 60-series anyway, so it will be a better work truck all around. You can also pick up a clean one for $5k or less, and many of them will include a lift as well. They are great rigs and very dependable.
WERD! I miss my 62 for my DD/work truck! It was perfect for what I needed in one!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Wincher

I think a 60 with the suspension setup to handle decently heavy loads would be a great work truck, but I might be wrong!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
I think a 60 with the suspension setup to handle decently heavy loads would be a great work truck, but I might be wrong!
My 62 had a healthy V-8, 4L60E auto and OME heavy's in the rear. It hauled or pulled nearly everything I needed. Throw out all the grubby work stuff and toss in the fun stuff and with the help of the second transfer case and magic buttons (lockers) it made pretty good trail duty too.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior