Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Is it the antenna or the meter?

My ham works great but I'm a bit challenged in the CB department. I had this mag mount antenna that I wanted to permanently mount. I cut the base off and set up a bulkhead fitting to mount the thing on my tire carrier. I managed to crack the insulator that the base coil was wrapped around but was able to repair it.

When I tried the antenna on my old (questionable) CB, I got no static with the squelch down and some really odd behavior from the two SWR meters that I have - Actually very different behavior from the two meters.

The CB radio has had some issues in the past so I figured it was time for a new one. I scored a brand new one for 20$ on eBay. So I plug in the new radio and it does exactly the same thing with the two SWR meters. So either my meters are bad, (from when I tried the 50W ham on them?) or my antenna is screwed up. Although when I transmit on the CB, I can receive it on a handheld CB just fine. So maybe I have no problem at all other than I can't tune my antenna the way I used to.

Anyone want to help me test the setup on Wednesday at the meeting? I'm also curiuos if the SWR meters will work on some elses rig.

Bruce
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 03-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

I will bring my SWR meters Wed.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 03-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

I still am not sure what's wrong with my CB in the 40. I'll show up a little early too. Maybe we can get them both to work.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

I can try to show up a bit early to watch... and listen on my CB.
82 FJ40
Old 03-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
I cut the base off and set up a bulkhead fitting to mount the thing on my tire carrier.
Quote:
I managed to crack the insulator that the base coil was wrapped around but was able to repair it.
Quote:
So I plug in the new radio and it does exactly the same thing
Quote:
So either my meters are bad, (from when I tried the 50W ham on them?) or my antenna is screwed up.
Just digesting your post again, some key points I think. Unknown condition of the antenna, two different radios with the same behavior, two different pieces of test equipment. I think the antenna is where you need to be looking.

Just as an aside, SWR meters are very much frequency dependent, a meter for CB will not just work with 2m. And they are also most definitely sensitive to power...

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding