Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 03-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
Sweet Jesus!!! A HAM guy here at work GAVE me a Icom IC-V8000 tranceiver!! how sweet is that? looks like it is a pretty nice radio!

just wanted to share the joy! This may make the purchase of one of those nice VX-7R's justifiable!!
Wow! Thats the one I want....give ya $150 cash - sight unseen!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

One problem with the VX8R is that they released it before a cable or software was available. Radio is great but you have to wait to really play with it.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 04-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

So Wes' thread about the vx-8r has gotten me thinking again. I need a HT before Moab.

So the VX-3r is nice but it only puts out 1.5 watts. How big of a deal is that? I want something that can hit a repeater from lafayette/Louisville because I want to see if I can talk to allison (via internet link) while I'm in the desert next weekend/week.

The VX-3r fits the budget and is tiny but I am thinking 5w might make life a bit easier.

Also, how often do folks switch from 2M? Seems like 70cm would be nice since the antenna size starts to be decent.. so I am leaning towards at least a dual band for that simple reason. does that make sense?
82 FJ40
Old 04-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Marco...

I went with the VX-7R because I liked the idea of commonality with others (in case I had questions) and it came in black

I can tell you that I can hit the .145 repeater from the Littleton area with it and I can hear people from as far north as Ft Collins but in simplex the range is pretty minimal (maybe 3-5 miles if line of sight, maybe more) even at 5W. Compared to a CB it rocks but compared to a true mobile rig the power limitations are apparent.

Based on that I would go with something that puts out 5W vs. 1.5W for sure if you expect to be far away from a repeater and I would get a bigger antenna to use (collapsible) when you are stationary and need every bit of the reach you can squeeze out of the HT.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Did you look at the VX6? Would be a good comprimise if you didn't want to spend the extra money on the VX7 or 8. I'm sure there will be VX-7r's a plenty on Saturday if you want to mess with one.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I don't think you'll be all that pleased with 1.5w. I was torn between the 3 and the 8. I still want a 3r for hiking/cycling etc. With low power antenna will be key. If you want something at home buy a 1802 and set it up as a base station. A 6r isn't bad either but if your spending the $ might as well get the goods.
TLCA#4180
Old 04-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

This is where power does actually make a difference. Going from 1.5W to 5W is ~3.5 times the power, which means you can expect about twice the range. Range increases roughly at square root of the power (technically it's the EIRP) increase ratio. So SQRT(5/1.5) = ~1.82 increase in range. This assumes the same antenna on each radio. To achieve this increase in performance from our standard mobile radios you would have to go from 50W up to 175W... You gain the most effective range increases by increasing power under 50W, when you go past that the increase in range comes at an exponentially increasing requirement for power, which means more supply power and a lot more heat.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
<snip>I can tell you that I can hit the .145 repeater from the Littleton area with it and I can hear people from as far north as Ft Collins but in simplex the range is pretty minimal (maybe 3-5 miles if line of sight, maybe more)<snip>
Something to keep in the back of your mind when using repeaters is that your radio is not receiving a signal directly from the station you are hearing, but from the repeater itself. Your ability to hear a repeated station (who might be as far north as BFE) depends on that station's proximity to the repeater (or linked repeaters) as well as your proximity to it.

A repeater is a just relay radio. It listens on one frequency and retransmits simultaneously what it hears on another frequency. It provides long distance communication by sitting between two or more operators and giving line-of-sight signal relays between stations that lack line-of-sight due to the terrain.

Something to try next time you're having a QSO on a repeater:
while the other station is talking, hit your REVERSE button. The display will now show the Input frequency of the repeater instead of the Output and you will be hearing what the repeater hears. If you can hear the other station on REVERSE, you are likely close enough for simplex operation.